Housing Benefit to be reduced up to 25% but no Mansion Tax for the rich.

Are people on housing benefit allowed to take in lodgers?

From same link I posted above...

From April 2013 lodgers will count as occupying a room under the size criteria rules. Any income from a lodger will be taken into account and deducted pound for pound from benefit apart from the first £20.

From April 2013 lodgers will count as occupying a room under the size criteria rules. Any income from a lodger will be taken into account and deducted pound for pound from benefit apart from the first £20.

So, not only do we find "money comes to money" (as always, as my late mum used to say) it's "heads they win, tails we lose":-

We can't even take in a lodger, to help make up this very blatant "stealth tax".

According to the rent I'm currently charged for my property (£80/ week) I will be paying £12, approximately, to enable me to stay in my adapted property.

So, not only do we find "money comes to money" (as always, as my late mum used to say) it's "heads they win, tails we lose":-

We can't even take in a lodger, to help make up this very blatant "stealth tax".

According to the rent I'm currently charged for my property (£80/ week) I will be paying £12, approximately, to enable me to stay in my adapted property.

I think once the new system comes in you can rent rooms at as much as you want. Which seems sensible to ensure rooms are utilised.

The private sector is funded via local housing allowance, and is only paid to meet the cost of a property which meets your needs
That doesn't stop some people from wanting to penalise others who've paid for their own homes through hard work and taxation over the years, but throw money at benefit absorbers who may never have worked a day in their lives.

I think once the new system comes in you can rent rooms at as much as you want. Which seems sensible to ensure rooms are utilised.

it doesn't look like that will be the case, according to what Nikki-red posted:-

And what's the alternative, for the taxpayer to pay people housing benefit when they don't need it?

Hey, great, let's just allow people to claim benefits off hard-working taxpayers whether they need it or not? Have they no shame?

For goodness' sake, why do people think they should be ENTITLED to sponge off the taxpayer??????

it doesn't look like that will be the case, according to what Nikki-red posted:-

"This reverses under Universal Credit – lodgers will not be counted as occupying a room and the size criteria reduction will apply, but any income from lodgers will be fully disregarded and will not impact on the amount of a claimant’s Universal Credit award."

From Nikkis link

And what's the alternative, for the taxpayer to pay people housing benefit when they don't need it?

Hey, great, let's just allow people to claim benefits off hard-working taxpayers whether they need it or not? Have they no shame?

For goodness' sake, why do people think they should be ENTITLED to sponge off the taxpayer??????

Many benefits claimants are hard-working tax payers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/10/22/housing-benefit-working-people-national-housing-federation-david-orr_n_1999000.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

A failure to build enough new homes in recent years has pushed rents and house prices up, and led to an 86% increase in housing benefit claims since 2009 by those in employment, according to a National Housing Federation (NHF) report.

The study said that 10,000 more working families now need housing benefit every month to help pay their rent, with 417,830 more workers claiming them over the last three years.

Your mantra about lazy benefits claimants is starting to look a bit...dare I say it...lazy.

Archived