Housing Benefit to be reduced up to 25% but no Mansion Tax for the rich.

So, left wingers want minimum wage to be raised, then they want childcare costs to be lowered.

Is that just have cake and eat it? Or is it just another case of expecting the hard-working/talented to subsidise the lazy/dim?

Not really.

They probably expect to do a fair day's work, in exchange for a fair day's pay.

If they got that, they would be able to afford child care, rent and food bills.

At the moment, the state subsidises poor employers by paying housing benefit, tax credits and contributing to childcare.

Meanwhile, some employers refuse to allow their workers to join a union, even though that contavenes European Law.

If you can show us 4 million Norwegian immigrants to the UK, I'll answer that.

No. You said that you'd start with last in first out. It is fairly likely that our last immigrant was Norwegian, or Swedish, or German, or French, or Australian.

But you don't object to those sort of immigrants, do you?

Not really.

If they got that, they would be able to afford child care, rent and food bills.

At the moment, the state subsidises poor employers by paying housing benefit, tax credits and contributing to childcare.

Meanwhile, some employers refuse to allow their workers to join a union, even though that contavenes European Law.

Think about it this time.

Do you suggest that everybody should be paid more than child carers, so they can all afford child care?

Or, how can everybody afford a child carer if the carers are paid enough to afford child care themselves?

Low skilled work is worth very little. That's tough on some, but they should have worked harder at school. The crux is that we are not all eqaul, of equal worth, or worthy of equal pay.

Not really.

People in this country get a fair days pay. Open your eyes to other parts of the world.

How do you think people managed before April 1999.

People talk about minimum wage as though it was the founding backbone of living costs. Absolute nonsense. IT DID NOT EXIST up to that point - which is the grand scheme of things is really not that long ago.

Hourly rates back then for some people were as little as £2.50 an hour.

How on earth did everyone cope? Good god how did people ever afford to feed and clothe themselves???. :loopy::loopy: WELL SOMEHOW THEY MANAGED.

God sake.

People need to shape up. This state has never offered so much handout to so many and what is is really subbing. What really are people using this money for ESSENTIALS or LIFESTYLE.

I really would love to know what in people's mind they consider as "being poor" No sky? no internet? no mobile? no second car? A holiday abroad just once a year? Pub only once a week? Not being able to pop into William Hill when it suits them?

No. You said that you'd start with last in first out. It is fairly likely that our last immigrant was Norwegian, or Swedish, or German, or French, or Australian.

But you don't object to those sort of immigrants, do you?

Oh dear, you miss the point - quelle surprise.

Yes, chuck out the Norwegian/Swede/German/etc. Their home should be their parent nation like any other, and their percentages are tiny. The main problem we have is immigration from the developing world, people heading to the UK for a 'better life' but making our lives worse. Plenty of those come from other white-skinned countires in Eastern Europe, so don't make this a lame attempt to shout 'racist'.

All jobs are paid well eough to reward the skills needed to do them. Low-skilled people need to accept a low standard of life.

This is where I think you are completely out of touch. A basic standard of living for a family, according to the Joseph Rowntree foundation, is around £26,000 a year. That's two 40 hour a week minimum wage jobs.

Something has gone wrong if both parents in a family have to work 40 hours a week to maintain a very basic lifestyle.

Housing, utilities, childcare. Control the costs of those and we will get back to normal, reducing the benefits bill massively. You are arguing for the continuation of an economically abnormal situation and trying to shift blame onto ordinary people for that situation.

So, not only do we find "money comes to money" (as always, as my late mum used to say) it's "heads they win, tails we lose":-

We can't even take in a lodger, to help make up this very blatant "stealth tax".

According to the rent I'm currently charged for my property (£80/ week) I will be paying £12, approximately, to enable me to stay in my adapted property.

In fairness £12 is nothing,I pay £105 per week for a one bedroom flat,in effect im subsidising your rent.

Think about it this time.

Do you suggest that everybody should be paid more than child carers, so they can all afford child care?

Or, how can everybody afford a child carer if the carers are paid enough to afford child care themselves?

Low skilled work is worth very little. That's tough on some, but they should have worked harder at school. The crux is that we are not all eqaul, of equal worth, or worthy of equal pay.

Maybe if you read my post again, you'd get my point.

If folks can't cover their costs by working, they won't work. At the moment, the state subsidises them. If it didn't, then the employers would have to pay more, or they would get no workers.

It is easy really. Poor employers, who refuse to pay a living wage are the ones getting a state handout. That has to stop.

BTW. A typical child minder will care for four kids, that's how they make enough money.

This is where I think you are completely out of touch. A basic standard of living for a family, according to the Joseph Rowntree foundation, is around £26,000 a year. That's two 40 hour a week minimum wage jobs.

Something has gone wrong if both parents in a family have to work 40 hours a week to maintain a very basic lifestyle.

Housing, utilities, childcare. Control the costs of those and we will get back to normal, reducing the benefits bill massively. You are arguing for the continuation of an economically abnormal situation and trying to shift blame onto ordinary people for that situation.

I would love to know what consists of a "basic standard of living".

What does that mean exactly?

All this is a very grey area. National averages are generally meaningless because of the london exaggeration which is nearly always ignored by the media when they are broadcasting/publshing their sensationalist articles.

Also these figures have about as much validity as a total scribbled on a fag packet. Depending on which media outlet you use it can be anything from £19k - £36k a year for this mythical "average family" with thier "basic lifestyle"

Archived