Why don't people switch energy providers? My theory.

You hear a lot of talk about switching energy providers to get the cheapest deals around. I forget what the actual percentage is, but there is a huge percentage of people who don't.

Here's my theory why. There is a good percentage that simply don't have access to the internet.

Some through some sort of misguided loyalty "I've always been with <insert company name> and don't want to change.

BUT....If you owe any money to your current provider, you can't switch. If you're paying off a previous bill (maybe through a token meter) you can't switch. If you have poor credit, you can't switch.

So there seems to be a locked in culture, where the poorest in society are locked into (possibly the most expensive) provider, and it becomes a spiral from which they can't escape.

It's also not as easy as it sounds. I've been looking and it gives me headache! X has cheaper tariffs but y gives bigger discounts and z has that many tariff options you get lost.

Switching is purposely made difficult so that people don't bother.

I'm not sure I buy your theory. I thought the poorest people were on social tariffs. So perhaps they have no need to switch but it's not accurate to say that it is the poor who are locked in.

Most people don't have the time, both to change and then deal with all the consequences when the companies inevitably mess up. Same reason nobody changes banks.

I'm not sure I buy your theory. I thought the poorest people were on social tariffs. So perhaps they have no need to switch but it's not accurate to say that it is the poor who are locked in.

Most people don't have the time, both to change and then deal with all the consequences when the companies inevitably mess up. Same reason nobody changes banks.

I'm with British gas with my lecky, they are a bunch of jokers who actually aren't funny, who would you suggest is cheaper than this lot.:huh:

token meter charges are higher than people who pay by dd. some people on here who constantly knock the poor should be grateful that they are keeping the prices down for those who pay by dd :hihi:

token meter charges are higher than people who pay by dd. some people on here who constantly knock the poor should be grateful that they are keeping the prices down for those who pay by dd :hihi:

I'm on a token meter (inherited when I moved in)...British gas told me categorically that the tarrif is definitely no more then those with quarterly billing....Hmmmm..having said that, it 'might' be that it isn't as cheap as those with DD billing!...Economical with the truth maybe?

Archived