Why don't people switch energy providers? My theory.

So much modern life involves filling in questionairres and forms. If you are like me, you'll run a mile to avoid doing any more than absolutely neccessary. I suppose some people just don't mind that kind of thing and others find it stress and hassle.

I'm on a token meter (inherited when I moved in)...British gas told me categorically that the tarrif is definitely no more then those with quarterly billing....Hmmmm..having said that, it 'might' be that it isn't as cheap as those with DD billing!...Economical with the truth maybe?
you might be right i think it was changed in 2010

I changed my gas and electric to a 'cheaper' supplier a few years back. Total nightmare; the new supplier caused me numerous problems, so I went back to the supplier I was with before. I'm not sure if they are the cheapest, but they have never caused me any problems, and I chose them again when I moved home again almost a year ago.

I have switched three times in four years now, always check if the tarriff you want is on Quidco as well and you'll get cashback. Our cheapo Npower tarriff is ending next month so we are switching to a fixed until 2014 deal, £42 cashback and no worries about price increases. Switching is easy and can save hundreds per year if you are on a standard tarriff. Moneysavingexpert has some great info on the subject.

I have switched three times in four years now, always check if the tarriff you want is on Quidco as well and you'll get cashback. Our cheapo Npower tarriff is ending next month so we are switching to a fixed until 2014 deal, £42 cashback and no worries about price increases. Switching is easy and can save hundreds per year if you are on a standard tarriff. Moneysavingexpert has some great info on the subject.

That's just my point. You presumably don't owe your current provider anything, and have good credit! Switching then is easy. (relatively).

If you are in debt to your current provider, then switching isn't an option!..So you're stuck!...:|

That's just my point. You presumably don't owe your current provider anything, and have good credit! Switching then is easy. (relatively).

If you are in debt to your current provider, then switching isn't an option!..So you're stuck!...:|

I take your point about oweing money to your current supplier, fortunately I only owe about £30 so will just send them a cheque or something. But you don't need good credit to get a good tarriff, only some companies will credit check you and as long as you have a bank account and can pay by direct debit then the vast majority of cheap(er) tarriffs are open to you. It is always worth seeing if you can save regardless of circumstance. For anyone not sure about changing or fixing, check out http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity

I'm not sure I buy your theory. I thought the poorest people were on social tariffs. So perhaps they have no need to switch but it's not accurate to say that it is the poor who are locked in.

Most people don't have the time, both to change and then deal with all the consequences when the companies inevitably mess up. Same reason nobody changes banks.

The poorer customers are on prepayment meters the most expensive tariffs going.

There's a very simple reason why I don't switch - time. When have I got the free time to go trawling through lots of companies tariffs on various comparison websites, then filling in all the required paperwork/web forms, then updating all the direct debits etc etc. I'm sure this is a much more likely reason why people don't switch.

There's a very simple reason why I don't switch - time. When have I got the free time to go trawling through lots of companies tariffs on various comparison websites, then filling in all the required paperwork/web forms, then updating all the direct debits etc etc. I'm sure this is a much more likely reason why people don't switch.

Same here - because changing providers is a huge bloody faff.

Archived