Why don't people switch energy providers? My theory.

Interesting thread. Isn't that why (see another thread) the energy providers are being required to explain their tariffs to their customers and to offer each the best value?

But that still won't guarantee the best tariff. It'll just mean that's the cheapest available tariff offered by that firm. With 6 big suppliers and a few smaller ones starting up (First Utility being one, and it seems they're possibly the cheapest in the region,) not to mention these "energy union" things which people have been talking about, it will be unlikely that the cheapest tariff offered by the existing supplier will be the absolute cheapest for the customer. That is why doing research and switching supplier regularly is the only way to ensure you are paying as little as possible! Plus like I mentioned above, use Quidco (or energyhelpline) for further cashback and switching becomes even more sensible.

Same here - because changing providers is a huge bloody faff.

I disagree. Whilst time is money, it doesn't take that long to research it and you will sae a lot of money. Half an hour maybe? Plus as far as I'm concerned there's a principle at stake. Why pay these companies more than you have to? Half an hour well spent IMO. Better than spending it on Sheffieldforum anyway!

I take your point about oweing money to your current supplier, fortunately I only owe about £30 so will just send them a cheque or something. But you don't need good credit to get a good tarriff, only some companies will credit check you and as long as you have a bank account and can pay by direct debit then the vast majority of cheap(er) tarriffs are open to you. It is always worth seeing if you can save regardless of circumstance. For anyone not sure about changing or fixing, check out http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity

When I moved into my current house, I was stuck with prepayment meters by British Gas. I wan't keen on them, and rang them to enquire the prospect of moving to Direct debit. They told me it would cost to have the meters removed, and they would do a credit check. Not that I was overly bothered about the credit check, but it seemed to me that they put obstacles in the way to prevent you from getting the cheapest tarrif. As it happens I've stuck to the prepayment, cos I can do it from home, and don't need to tramp around finding a shop that does it.

There's a very simple reason why I don't switch - time. When have I got the free time to go trawling through lots of companies tariffs on various comparison websites, then filling in all the required paperwork/web forms, then updating all the direct debits etc etc. I'm sure this is a much more likely reason why people don't switch.

It probably takes a similar amount of time as reading the posts on here, and replying to them!!...It's all relative I suppose!

When I moved into my current house, I was stuck with prepayment meters by British Gas. I wan't keen on them, and rang them to enquire the prospect of moving to Direct debit. They told me it would cost to have the meters removed, and they would do a credit check. Not that I was overly bothered about the credit check, but it seemed to me that they put obstacles in the way to prevent you from getting the cheapest tarrif. As it happens I've stuck to the prepayment, cos I can do it from home, and don't need to tramp around finding a shop that does it.

I recently moved into a property that has scottish southern electric pre payment meters, I previously used to pay british gas by direct debit and they said if we wanted to go back to them at this address they would remove the meter free of charge and put us back on direct debit and would take a month to sort things out, didn't mention a credit check. Not bothered changing it yet.

Apparently it isn't!...yes it did used to be, but I think it's been exposed, and seems to be on a par with 'ordinary' tariffs!

Conventional schemes charge less(per unit) as you use more,meters charge a uniform rate which does not drop making it more expensive for consumers.

Archived