Why don't people switch energy providers? My theory.

Conventional schemes charge less(per unit) as you use more,meters charge a uniform rate which does not drop making it more expensive for consumers.

Surely the sliding scale you mention would be for customers on dual tarrif ...things like economy 7...etc?....Could be wrong though!...I frequently am! :)

Same here - because changing providers is a huge bloody faff.

I never faound that to be the case though - go online to something like Uswitch, give them my details and they show the price of all the other tariffs.

Pick the one you want, fill out the details, and that's about it. It all happens automatically.

I never faound that to be the case though - go online to something like Uswitch, give them my details and they show the price of all the other tariffs.

Pick the one you want, fill out the details, and that's about it. It all happens automatically.

Yep,as you said,all you do is pick the tariff you want and the new comapny does all the leg work..

Part of the reason why I don't change again is the faff factor (and even though it may officially take minutes, getting the bills to catch up properly with the change can take months, leaving you owing an uncertain amount which will need to be paid immediately when they finally get their fingers out to send you a bill) and the other part is that all of the suppliers change their prices at times which are not set.

If you had checked the prices a few days ago there would have been different prices showing for several of the providers, but since then they have put their prices up by 10% and so any price comparison is pretty pointless as soon as the companies change prices (which they can do at any time) so anybody changing from British Gas because of their price rise recently to EDF, for instance, would then find that only days later EDF have raised their prices too, so the tariff they thought they would be getting now won't be available.

For fairness to consumers I'd like to see the energy companies announce all on the same day the tariffs for the next 6 months or year, to enable the comparison sites to have valid information which then won't change for enough time for consumers to be able to actually be certain what they are signing up for.

Anyone in favour of ending the privatisation of energy companies and the rest,or am i still living in cuckoo land.

But its the free market competition that has driven down the prices and brought about the excellent customer service; er, no, wait....

Archived