Wardsend Cemetery Riot' Court Reports

Think I may have brought this up before around here but I'm writing my History degree dissertation on the 1862 Wardsend Cemetery riot.

Things are going well on the research front so far, found plenty of newspaper reports - both in Sheffield Archives and from online collections. However other primary sources would prove useful, and I know that since Reverend John Livesey and his sexton were both taken to York Assizes over the issue there must be some kind of court report regarding the incident.

If anyone with an interest in the Wardsend Cemetery riots has any information on this or perhaps a copy of the court report itself I would be most grateful if you'd come in here and have a word. I understand there are a series of newspaper reports from the trials - but I am looking for the original transcript now, thank you.

Of course once the dissertation is finished, if it's aroused any interest around here I will be happy to post it up for everyone to read once it's been marked etc.

Ta,

Jordan

Jordan.

The records are deposited with York Local Studies.

Scope 1785-1863: Calendars of felons and gaol delivery for trials at the Assizes, 1785-1851; York Castle Gaoler's journals, 1824-1863

Repository York Archives and Local History

Record Reference Y365 link to online catalogue

Email: archives@york.gov.uk

You could try emailing them, although if they do any research for you I am sure there will be a charge.

Tuppie

There is a extensive newspaper report of the trial,

Yorkshire Summer Assizes

Crown Court

Thursday July 24th 1862

Before Mr. Justice Mellor

The Cemetery Disclosures at Sheffield

I took this off when I put my original article on here about Wardsend.

Thank you both very much - I'm only just beginning the project and at the moment it's seeming pretty daunting, so little things like this certainly help.

I have now emailed the York Archives and although I'm fairly sure I won't be paying for their services if they could just give me a hint of whether or not there's anything there that's of use to me I can at least think about visiting to do a bit of my own research.

That newspaper article sounds very interesting - and just may be one I've skipped, do you have any idea what newspaper it's taken from? Is it available in the Sheffield Archives?

Thanks again.

Thank you both very much - I'm only just beginning the project and at the moment it's seeming pretty daunting, so little things like this certainly help.

I have now emailed the York Archives and although I'm fairly sure I won't be paying for their services if they could just give me a hint of whether or not there's anything there that's of use to me I can at least think about visiting to do a bit of my own research.

That newspaper article sounds very interesting - and just may be one I've skipped, do you have any idea what newspaper it's taken from? Is it available in the Sheffield Archives?

Thanks again.

Leeds Mercury, Friday 25th July edition.

Archived