Help needed - history attercliffe

hi

could anyone help me?? i am researching my family history and would like more info my gt grandparents owned a chip shop on coleridge road they were called Truelove and sold the shop around 1960 but had had chippy in attercliffe for years, my other gt grandparents lived at 17 whitworth lane and had a small shop in 1930 and before this they lived in swan street they were called ivison then Housley hope some one can help in any way thanx x

hi

could anyone help me?? i am researching my family history and would like more info my gt grandparents owned a chip shop on coleridge road they were called Truelove and sold the shop around 1960 but had had chippy in attercliffe for years, my other gt grandparents lived at 17 whitworth lane and had a small shop in 1930 and before this they lived in swan street they were called ivison then Housley hope some one can help in any way thanx x

I can't help you much but I lived on Coleridge and can remember trueloves. Sorry though that I can't remember where they went after that but I can ask at the coffee morning that I attend on Coleford rd

Hi butterworth1 - I can provide a "snippet" from the Kelly's directories I have. The 1925 directory shows "Albert Truelove, fried fish dealer" at 378 Coleridge Road. It seems that the business stayed in the family until the property was demolished around 1971, as it is still shown in the 1971 directory (compiled in 1970) but in the next directory I have, that of 1973, the address is no longer listed.

The picturesheffield.com site doesn't seem to have a photo of the fish & chip shop (though many more photos can be viewed in the Local Studies Library) but here is a link to a 1966 photo that is very close. It shows the grocer's shop on the corner of Coleridge Road and Freeborough Street. There was a draper's shop on the opposite corner of Freeborough Street, and Truelove's shop was two doors beyond this.

thanks everyone who have posted and sent me messages. this is really useful, caroline ivison did marry Housley in 1920 he was her second husband cant find anything on her first husband my Gt Grandad john thomas ivison as he supposedly went to prison in wakefield and died there between 1917 and 1920 i have found a John Thomas Ivison who died in wakefield area in 1920 but dont know if it is him (as i dont know if the prison thing is just a family story, plus caroline didnt wait long to remarry lol, would she have got married so quick in that era x how would i find out if he did go to prison??

thanx.:huh: