Help needed - history attercliffe

hi

could anyone help me?? i am researching my family history and would like more info my gt grandparents owned a chip shop on coleridge road they were called Truelove and sold the shop around 1960 but had had chippy in attercliffe for years, my other gt grandparents lived at 17 whitworth lane and had a small shop in 1930 and before this they lived in swan street they were called ivison then Housley hope some one can help in any way thanx x

Hi, Not sure if it's any help but there was a Joan Housley who lived on Whitworth Lane at around the same time as my Grandparents in the 50's and early 60's. She married a Frank Taylor and moved up to the Bowden Wood Estate at around the same time we did in '63

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Butterworth1, this is my first ever post after stumbling on your info request about John Thomas Ivison who is my 2nd great grandfather.

I wondered if you found anything more on him going to jail and his death?

I found a few newspaper articles featuring John and his first wife Caroline for an assault on a police constable Flaherty leading to prison sentences in 1907 (3yrs and 15 days respectively). He commits another assault (head injuries requiring 10 stiches) to a William Henry Kay in 1913 but gets released on bail (Kay pleads for leniency!). I'm trying to find out what he does to get him back in jail and what causes his death.

My gran told my mum, towards the end of her life about John Ivison (it wasn't ever discussed before). The story goes John was a small fry character in a protection racket in Attercliffe. He beat up a shop owner in an ally way for not paying up. He went to prison for the assault then the victim later died from his injuries. Presumably John could have faced the death penalty, but then died in prison in 1920 aged only 38. I can't find evidence to back up this story.

PS Caroline got remarried to Harry Housley (who lived a few houses away) so quickly most likely because the benefits system was not great, she had daughters to bring up so no hanging around?

Thanks

• 2 years later...

I've just found this thread. I'm trying to find out more about the Trueloves who ran the chip shop. I think they're my great grandparents. I think it was Albert and his wife Ethel, and perhaps latterly run by daughters Dora and Ethel. A long shot I know but any ideas?

Have taken a look at this family - according to the 1939 register they did live 378 Coleridge Road. There seems to be 3 daughters Dora, Ethel and Isabella and a son Norman.

Isabella's married name was Hayman or Hyman and Dora's was Leadbeater. Ethel's was Pearson

Albert Truelove 10 Sep 1882

Isabella Truelove 17 Sep 1893

Dora Leadbeater (Truelove) 19 Nov 1916

Norman Truelove 25 Jul 1924 Male Engineering Work Single

Isabella Hyman (Hayman) 03 Nov 1912 Female

Ethel Pearson 22 Feb 1914

Have taken a look at this family - according to the 1939 register they did live 378 Coleridge Road. There seems to be 3 daughters Dora, Ethel and Isabella and a son Norman.

Isabella's married name was Hayman or Hyman and Dora's was Leadbeater. Ethel's was Pearson

Albert Truelove 10 Sep 1882

Isabella Truelove 17 Sep 1893

Dora Leadbeater (Truelove) 19 Nov 1916

Norman Truelove 25 Jul 1924 Male Engineering Work Single

Isabella Hyman (Hayman) 03 Nov 1912 Female

Ethel Pearson 22 Feb 1914

Oh my goodness thank you. Norman was my granddad. This is wonderful.

Hi

Not been on here for a while, so thank you for the info, Albert and Ethal were my great grandparents, regarding John Thomas Ivison on my mums side unfortunately the criminal record is true but I've found out he died in Wakefield asylum I can't have access to his records as its not a hundred years from when he died.