Massive Food Queues in London - UK Society broken.

possibly but that doesn't mean you shouldn't edit it. Please do so.

I have done so. Please report post so the posts concerning the edit can be removed so the thread reads properly, please also edit your original post to help explain my edit.

I have done so. Please report post so the posts concerning the edit can be removed so the thread reads properly, please also edit your original post to help explain my edit.

I'm afraid you haven't. You are still quoting me as saying I have a brother in law who lives in squaller. This is not a quote from me and I have asked you once already to remove it. Please do so now!

I'm afraid you haven't. You are still quoting me as saying I have a brother in law who lives in squaller. This is not a quote from me and I have asked you once already to remove it. Please do so now!

I have done so again, I had made a mistake with the quote tags :hihi:

Next time, try not to make a mistake thysen :P

Disgrace.

These parents should be locked up for child absue. Clearly not fit enough to engage brain before opening their legs.

What exactly out of our hard earned taxes are these people spending their benefits on? - what the hell is going on with these people? Social support all round which is clearly being p***ed away on everything and anything BUT the essentials.

Close these food banks, publically name and shame these moron parents who clearly have no sense of managing money and hand out nothing but vouchers for the ESSENTIAL items.

No booze, no gambling, no drugs, no electronics, no fags for these wasters. Then lets see how many people cannot "afford" to buy food.

I wonder if you watched 'Britain's Hidden Hungry' (BBC1 10.35pm Tues 30th Oct.)?

If not I sugest you watch it on iplayer or somesuch.

It explains far more eloquently than I could, what it is actually like for some people trying to live on benefits, and why some people desperately need food banks, - 170,000 this year, and rising rapidly.

I'd be interested in your comments afterwards, - and what other people think to the programme.

I wonder if you watched 'Britain's Hidden Hungry' (BBC1 10.35pm Tues 30th Oct.)?

It explains far more eloquently than I could, what it is actually like for some people trying to live on benefits, and why some people desperately need food banks, - 170,000 this year, and rising rapidly.

I'd be interested in your comments afterwards, - and what other people think to the programme.

I watched it and I didn't think people were in that much need. I think it might have been a bit biased to be honest.

I have come across people in much more need. Quite a few sleeping on the streets and in the squats of Sheffield. Lots of them in London. And I guess there are many more, further afield, but I am not well enough traveled to say if this is the case!

There are children in Iran being forced into poverty at the minute and that is something we could solve quite easily by relaxing trade embargoes.

I watched it and I didn't think people were in that much need. I think it might have been a bit biased to be honest.

I have come across people in much more need. Quite a few sleeping on the streets and in the squats of Sheffield. Lots of them in London. And I guess there are many more, further afield, but I am not well enough traveled to say if this is the case!

There are children in Iran being forced into poverty at the minute and that is something we could solve quite easily by relaxing trade embargoes.

Well, I'm surprised at that.

Apart from the guy who was a con-man, which ones did you not think were in need? They all had no food and no money to buy it because of different, (but I thought quite legitimate) reasons.

Isn't that the very definition of living below the breadline?

I admit I have not seen the said programme as I have been working and will hold much further comment until I do.

But the point I really dont understand is how someone who gets a taxpayer handout cannot afford the basics such as food. It is the cheapest thing we are ever required to buy.

I hope this is a very interesting programme.

Well, I'm surprised at that.

Apart from the guy who was a con-man, which ones did you not think were in need? They all had no food and no money to buy it because of different, (but I thought quite legitimate) reasons.

Isn't that the very definition of living below the breadline?

Aside from the conman.

One of them emptied his food parcel into a full cupboard.

One guy was playing on the phone whilst waiting.

The woman who had 5 kids was driving a car and dressed very well, her home was immaculate and she had many quality items in it that could be sold for decent sums - the first time she got food she perhaps didn't need it, the 2nd time AFTER loss of benefits she did. Should she really have been keeping a car to do voluntary work though?

The young girl was one of the most deserving, but she spent money on heating when she didn't need to IMO. The other family being the young couple with a child who were really struggling but made little fuss of it, the husband said £90 a week would be plenty for a 4 person family.

The benefits system is there to help people, food aid should be there for when the benefits system fails. The benefit (social security) system seems to be passing people off to charities. rather than functioning how it should!

We need to debate the minimum living standards we feel that our citizens should have. Should they be given the bare minimum to survive and forced into such poverty that they succumb to disease (disease which know no class boundaries)? Or should we treat fellow humans with respect and dignity?

I support a welfare state, but I don't think people should be turning to the charity sector unless they are in real need. It is a slippery slope to a Dickensian state.

For once Chem1st I almost agree with you on a point.

Having scanned through a bbc printed article running alongside the programme I have just read several accounts from users of the food bank who have mobiles, cars, pets, household electronics and one serial child breeder despite never having a job in her life.

Comments from so called "people in food poverty" saying they have nothing left for food after they have paid for utilities, phone, tv licence etc. Is it just me that can see a complete lack of money management here.

...phone and tv licence over food :loopy:

Will be watching very carefully on this show - particularly gonna be interested in what I can spot in the background with regards their assets.

Archived