Witchcraft in Modern Times.

Originally posted by slimsid2000

Do people think that witchcraft still exist in our society today and if so what form does it take?

of course witchcraft still exists in a form, look at wiccans and to an extent pagans... of course it entirely depends on your definition of witch craft...

Originally posted by slimsid2000

Do people think that witchcraft still exist in our society today and if so what form does it take?

Presuming you want a serious discussion about it...

Yes, I believe that some people believe they are witches of various kinds. A trendy, media-friendly variety of Witchcraft was popular a few years ago amongst younger people thanks to the Buffy/Willow thing. Have a look in any branch of Borders; there are loads of books devoted to the subject, most of them fairly light-hearted. It's a fascinating subject. You should have a read about the Pendle witches.

I've just got The Triumph of the Moon out from the library; it promises to be an interesting read.

Originally posted by zoboz111

Yes i believe witchcraft is still around and i now it is.

But i would like to know Whats the difference in a white witch and a black witch, i'm assuming white do good like healing and black do bad like hex's, True/false?

From my completely uninformed point of view, I think the 'black witches' are associated with the devil, the dark side, curses etc. I associate white witchcraft with nature, healing, spirituality etc. As I said, the view's not based on sound fact, just how I perceive it. Hence the book from the library :).

That's pretty much a christianised view of witchcraft that has nothing to do with the reality of the many different spiritual belief systems that are often covered by umbrella terms such as "witchcraft" or "paganism".

Most belief systems of this kind have no equivalent figure to the christian concept of god/devil and good/evil. Associating the concepts and practices of pagan traditions with the christian devil is akin to doing the same with Bhuddism or Shinto.

Have you ever heard a pagan use the term "Black Christianity"?:D

Originally posted by Carmine

"Black Christianity"

that have something to do with Gospel singers? :D cus I think gospel choir music is freeking awesome! they're all so happy and enjoying their religion with singing... unlike here where everyone sits down and gets bored to death

anyways the terms black/white witch generally just refer to whether their intensions are good or bad...

white doesnt just mean they use "healing" powers... if you start a fire to cook your food its hardly evil, if you use the same elemental use to set a house on fire, thats evil...

good/bad, karma... its all relative to each persons oppinion really... I'd rather believe in various God's of elements and witchcraft and such than one all powerful God

Originally posted by xafier

anyways the terms black/white witch generally just refer to whether their intensions are good or bad.

That's generally the case, but it's dangerous to attach the intention to the person's professed religion rather than to the fact that they mean to harm or help.

If people who have little or no real knowledge of paganism then they are likely to remember the negative connotations of "black witchcraft" and drop the first element of the phrase whenever they hear the second in the future.

Archived