Gusto - A Review

top4718

Went into Sheffield yesterday on a bit of a whim, walked past Gusto on Norfolk Row and remembered a favourable review in The Star so decided to give it a try.

The place (though small) is very well finished and looks fantastic, although due to the size some of the tables are quite close together.

The service was attentive throughout, the starters were average my king prawns on bruschetta was lukewarm and lacked a little something while my partners asparagus wrapped in parma ham was also a bit boring.

We both opted for fish for the mains, my sea bass with a herb crusted top was very nice but came with nothing, we had ordered a side of roast potatos (£4 for seven) which were bland, my partners cod with spinach was ok if salty.

To be fair to Gusto the desserts were superb, Lemon Torte and Walnut Cheescake both definately homemade, these came with neither ice cream or cream and none was offered.

The bill was £96.50 for a very average meal.

Gusto seems to charge top end prices but the quality of the food does not match.

We recently had three courses at the Milestone from the early bird menu for a bill of £44 and the food was of a far higher standard.

Thanks for the review top4718 - very useful. Restaurants come & go & it's good to be able to make a choice without taking the risk of wasting a good deal of money on something mediocre. Are you going to post any more reviews? If so (and I hope you do) could you say something about the noise level in the restaurants? I've walked out of a good few before I even reached a table because of loud, intrusive music.

Look forward to your next one.

Went into Sheffield yesterday on a bit of a whim, walked past Gusto on Norfolk Row and remembered a favourable review in The Star so decided to give it a try.

The place (though small) is very well finished and looks fantastic, although due to the size some of the tables are quite close together.

The service was attentive throughout, the starters were average my king prawns on bruschetta was lukewarm and lacked a little something while my partners asparagus wrapped in parma ham was also a bit boring.

We both opted for fish for the mains, my sea bass with a herb crusted top was very nice but came with nothing, we had ordered a side of roast potatos (£4 for seven) which were bland, my partners cod with spinach was ok if salty.

To be fair to Gusto the desserts were superb, Lemon Torte and Walnut Cheescake both definately homemade, these came with neither ice cream or cream and none was offered.

Gusto seems to charge top end prices but the quality of the food does not match.

We recently had three courses at the Milestone from the early bird menu for a bill of £44 and the food was of a far higher standard.

To be fair bruschetta is served lukewarm or cold and asparagus wrapped in parma ham is what it is!

For nearly £50 quid a head I'd want perfection tho!

I have eaten a quite a few times here now and think it is as good a restaurant as we have in Sheffield. It is a little bit on the high side price wise although there is only the fillet costing more than £20, however if you have a pasta dish as main course or a pizza it is still easily possible to have 3 courses for under £25.

Presumably there was the best part of £30 of wine included in the bill ?

Presumably there was the best part of £30 of wine included in the bill ?

£25 actually, the cost was still a little high in relation to the food quality.

To be honest the cost wouldnt put me off if the food was good, I have paid similar (or more) at the Milestone, Marco@Milanos and Morans and had far more memorable meals.

Archived