D'n'R - where is it?

remy

Originally posted by fox20thc

Not guilty.. its always been the mucky duck to me. I don't know anyone who ACTUALLY called it the black swan, though I do know that was the name above the door.

Well like anything it depends how old you are and what your use of the place is or was. I remember the Bee hive pub on west street as being a busy pub which you had to queue to get into, and later I worked there for a few years with my PA system putting on lots of bands and music, when it was the Foundry and Firkin. So the place always comes into my mind as being the firkin on west street. It has another name now and I couldn't even tell you what it was as I don't go up west street very often, and my mates and myself have to call it the firkin because if we called it something else then none of us would know which place the other was talking about.

As the Bee Hive it was half the size and as such they were entirely different places. But if I was talking to someone in their 50s I might have to use the original Bee Hive name because they wouldn't know what I was talking about.

It's a fact of life that the majority of pubs are now owned by property companies, and as such their regular sale to another companies means frequent name changes and re BLANDING of the insides.

Can you tell me what sort of music they play at the Dove and Rainbow? I have been wanting a change of scene for ages, especially seeing as though the last few times we have been out to Scuba or Plug we have found it to be pretty dull.

Is it on similar lines to the Earl - not that i have been there yet, but it sounds like my cup of tea so i wondered if D'N'R was similar?

Re type of music at DNR:

Well, it's private hire most of the time, so it depends on who is hiring it the week you want to go.

We've got it this week, so expect 60s soul, funk, beat and boogaloo! But not overplayed stuff - just stuff that gets you dancing!

We're on bi-monthly (well, that's the plan, if no-one turns up we've had it!), but their website has a list of all the other nights.

All the best,

Dave

Archived