The Hurricane Sandy thread

My son is in New York on holiday with friends, right in the path of Hurricane Sandy.

I don't even know where he's staying except it's an apartment. He's told friends that he's been told it's nothing to worry about, it happens every year! He's so damned laid back he's horizontal.

I can't get him on his mobile, and I'm beside myself with worry.

My son is in New York on holiday with friends, right in the path of Hurricane Sandy.

I don't even know where he's staying except it's an apartment. He's told friends that he's been told it's nothing to worry about, it happens every year! He's so damned laid back he's horizontal.

Oh I know it's easy to say Anna, but he'll be ok, I was watching TV this morning and they were getting everyone out quickly, even saying if they didn't leave their homes or premises they would be forced to as there would be a danger to the emergency services if they didn't ...he'll be with his mates having a beer or two somewhere..:)

The New York emergency response services are very well prepared this time,though i realise thats not much of a re -assurance when you have someone there.

I am also thinking about my American couisins, though i havn't seen them for over 20 years.

Hoping all the people will be safe.

Try not to worry Anna.

Seriously, dont worry.

The weather will be playing havoc with the signal is all.

Hi Anna,

We go to America and the Caribbean regularly in Hurricane Season and the reports you get over here are usually far worse than they are in reality.

Just think of it as a very windy day here:hihi: seriously, that's what most of them are like.

Honestly, the people over there are used to them and are well prepared, try not to worry, as others have said he's probably having a few beers and doesn't realise you might be worried, you know what lads are like:D

I am at this moment in my home in Northern Connecticut waiting for what is billed as the storm of the century. It is happening on the anniversary of Hurricane Irene whiich did immense damage on the New York and Long Island shore, but few deaths. It doesn't happen every year. Your son is staying with friends who know what to do and not do I expect. The best thing is to stay in the apartment, and away from the shore. There will be plenty of cops around who will advise them to go home if they're out, and it might be enforced. I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. I don't think NYC is going to get the brunt of it.

I am at this moment in my home in Northern Connecticut waiting for what is billed as the storm of the century. It is happening on the anniversary of Hurricane Irene whiich did immense damage on the New York and Long Island shore, but few deaths. It doesn't happen every year. Your son is staying with friends who know what to do and not do I expect. The best thing is to stay in the apartment, and away from the shore. There will be plenty of cops around who will advise them to go home if they're out, and it might be enforced. I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. I don't think NYC is going to get the brunt of it.

Stay safe Buck.

he'll be safe as houses anna they get well prepared for them over there..the only time I've been in a hurricane was at sea and I can tell you I"d have given anything to be on land in new york.

this will give you some idea what its like at sea :gag:

I was battened down many times at sea, mostly on aircraft carriers, but finally aboard a frigate, which was a novel experience to say the least. Nothing quite matches the walking fore and aft during a full gale, the walking on air as she falls into a trough, and the massive weight on your legs as she comes up out of it.

Archived