The Hurricane Sandy thread

If the Pacific ocean were a few degrees warmer we on the west coast would be getting much of the same. We have our own demons though. Experts on seismic activity have long said that California is overdue for the "Big One" That would be a quake somewhere on the Richter scale of around 8.0. or more. Worse still there's no warning with quakes. They just hit anywhere at anytime.

Years ago we had a cat who started to act spooky one day for no reason. He hid under the bed and wouldnt come out, not even for food. The following morning the Northridge quake hit. It was felt all over much of southern California and did quite a bit of damage in the city of Northridge killing several people.

Images of Mother nature.It seems inconceivable to realise how powerless we humans become in the face of it.

Hurricane Rita (Witton) is currently the fourth–most intense Atlantic hurricane ever recorded and killed as many as 120 in the US.

So far they're saying that around 29 have died in this storm but the damage along the New Jersey coastline in particular is absolutely horrendous

So far they're saying that around 29 have died in this storm but the damage along the New Jersey coastline in particular is absolutely horrendous

BBC website have said over 30 now. I saw the boardwalk picture..well what is left of it on the BBC site.

My friend was telling me, before she had to go, there were plenty of Grease jokes going around. I think that shows the resiliance of some people. That they can joke about something so...dangerous/powerful etc.

BBC website have said over 30 now. I saw the boardwalk picture..well what is left of it on the BBC site.

My friend was telling me, before she had to go, there were plenty of Grease jokes going around. I think that shows the resiliance of some people. That they can joke about something so...dangerous/powerful etc.

When you're sitting in your home waiting and wondering whether you and it will still be around in the morning, hopefully with your family or friends, a few off the cuff jokes help take some of the tension away. All the forecasts had Connecticut in the most dangerous position of all, but lucky for some of us 40 miles from the coast, it turned out not to be too bad, while our coast got battered for the second time in a year. My wife and I had taken a trip two weeks ago to a favorite beach called Hammonasett. We were amazed how much damage had been done to it, and they were still in the process of fixing it with new boardwalks, toilets and changing rooms. Now all that will have been for nothing.

I saw it on the news tonight, and it made me realise how lucky we are in Great Britain, usually.

Yes, we moan about the weather, but we don't suffer hurricanes, earthquakes, and drought like some countries do.

My thoughts are with all those affected by hurricane Sandy, and their friends and families.

]When you're sitting in your home waiting and wondering whether you and it will still be around in the morning[/b]' date=' hopefully with your family or friends, [b']a few off the cuff jokes help take some of the tension away[/b]. All the forecasts had Connecticut in the most dangerous position of all, but lucky for some of us 40 miles from the coast, it turned out not to be too bad, while our coast got battered for the second time in a year. My wife and I had taken a trip two weeks ago to a favorite beach called Hammonasett. We were amazed how much damage had been done to it, and they were still in the process of fixing it with new boardwalks, toilets and changing rooms. Now all that will have been for nothing.

Much like waiting for a mortar attack which everybody knows is going to happen anytime soon

We're expecting another major storm tomorrow November 7th in the tristate area of NYC, New Jersey, and Connecticut. Wind gusts up to 80 MPH, heavy rain, and snow. I think we've about had enough of it, but we're just going to have to grin and bear it. I hope there are going to be no more lives lost, we've had too many lost already.

Archived