The Hurricane Sandy thread

My son is in New York on holiday with friends, right in the path of Hurricane Sandy.

I don't even know where he's staying except it's an apartment. He's told friends that he's been told it's nothing to worry about, it happens every year! He's so damned laid back he's horizontal.

I can't get him on his mobile, and I'm beside myself with worry.

I'm sure he will be alright but perhaps without electricity for a few days

I was battened down many times at sea, mostly on aircraft carriers, but finally aboard a frigate, which was a novel experience to say the least. Nothing quite matches the walking fore and aft during a full gale, the walking on air as she falls into a trough, and the massive weight on your legs as she comes up out of it.

The Senior Service can take it. Stay safe and well buck :thumbsup:

Sorry but things like hurricane Sandy definitely do not happen every year.

Anyway I'm sure he will be alright but perhaps without electricity for a few days

20 thousand already without power in long island and it's just high winds for now.

Sorry but things like hurricane Sandy definitely do not happen every year.

Anyway I'm sure he will be alright but perhaps without electricity for a few days

We know exactly what to do when they're due. Hurricanes, unlike earthquakes or tornados nearly always announce their coming by a few days. WE stock up with bread, milk, foods that dont need refrigeration, batteries, bottled water, lamp oil, candles, propane cylinders, flashlights, make sure we have plenty of warm clothing. Power failure is almost bound to happen, and some of us don't have gas ovens. We were powerless for over a week last year, but we survived even though it was below freezing. Spent a lot of time in bed, listening to a battery radio.

20 thousand already without power in long island and it's just high winds for now.
Are you coping OK, Poppins ? Governor Mulloy is on TV all the time telling us what he's done, and what he wants us to do. He's closing all the highways and Bradley Airport. I think he's behaving like Ella Grasso after the blizzard of '78, though I suppose he has to.

Are you coping OK, Poppins ? Governor Mulloy is on TV all the time telling us what he's done, and what he wants us to do. He's closing all the highways and Bradley Airport. I think he's behaving like Ella Grasso after the blizzard of '78, though I suppose he has to.

Very very scaring buck your getting the same as me right now, high winds and rain just started , not looking forward to tonight thru Wednesday , not much we can do, if I left my house theres no telling when I'd be able to get back to it with down wires and roads closed, so I chose to stay..good choice or bad ill know soon enough.

Archived