Minimum wage as opposed to Living wage. Shouldn't they be the same?

Don't beat yourself about it. There's no such thing as a stupid question, only ever (possibly-) stupid answers ;)

Knowing what you don't know, and not being afraid to ask, is a virtue in my book :)

I think some on here may have a different attitude where 'stupid questions' are concerned! :hihi:

Thanks anyway...You learn something new every day! :)

you get nowhere near as much redundancy if you have not been at a company for many years. If you are part time your hours can just be stopped with no warning and no redundancy.

I just wonder how many posters in this thread have the benefit of a good well paid job?...Is it the 'I'm alright Jack' syndrome?

for an unskilled worker in the current climate that could be below the minimum wage...in fact it is. Internships can be working for nothing!

thats what it should be, why should i pay some spotty kid with no skill the same as i can hire a skill person for very similar money

Well I think it's a scandal (for me :hihi::hihi:). But I really only mentioned it, just to demonstrate how wages have stagnated over the years. I always remember Vax was based in Droitwich in Worc's (used to live near there). But you may well be right in that they are manufactured elsewhere now...I can't be sure, and information seem difficult to come by!

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/f277ad34665a30959a063ee11b1418bd/compdetails

But wages have stagnated here because everyone is happy to buy cheap imports. You can't have it both ways. Folks don't get employed to not make stuff. Its pretty simple really.

Vax are now manufactured by a company in Hong Kong but production (as with most things from HK) is from mainland China.

I just wonder how many posters in this thread have the benefit of a good well paid job?...Is it the 'I'm alright Jack' syndrome?

It might be more of an attitude that having worked hard at their education and career precisely to avoid being in that situation they feel that people must lay in the bed they've made for themselves instead of expecting a bail out.

you get nowhere near as much redundancy if you have not been at a company for many years. If you are part time your hours can just be stopped with no warning and no redundancy.

Years of service are pro rata'd.

Hours would entirely depend on the contract, a full time contract could be zero guaranteed hours, a part time contract could be for a fixed number of hours.

If you are talking about permanent part time workers you might be right. I was talking about "temporary part time workers".

I am, I assume we were. Why would we not be comparing like for like.

Part time/Full time is the comparison here, not temporary/permanent. The two are distinctly different things.

It might be more of an attitude that having worked hard at their education and career precisely to avoid being in that situation they feel that people must lay in the bed they've made for themselves instead of expecting a bail out.

Indeed if self employed folk paid themselves more than the company could afford I doubt the rest of the population would carry on and buy their goods when the same goods could be bought overseas for half the amount. Yet the folk who depend on a UK manufacturer for a job feel they should have a pay rise as a matter of course and will also go out and buy the cheap imported goods that are putting the company they work for out of business.

Archived