Minimum wage as opposed to Living wage. Shouldn't they be the same?

Indeed if self employed folk paid themselves more than the company could afford I doubt the rest of the population would carry on and buy their goods when the same goods could be bought overseas for half the amount. Yet the folk who depend on a UK manufacturer for a job feel they should have a pay rise as a matter of course and will also go out and buy the cheap imported goods that are putting the company they work for out of business.

That's a very simplistic notion....So in your utopian worls nobody should buy anything manufactured anywhere but in the UK...Slightly insular wouldn't you say?

The problem is, that you probably have the luxury of being in a well paid job. I do too. It's kind of the ivory tower syndrome. It's easy to be aloof and say if the job doesn't pay enough then don't take the job. The reality is very much different, if you're not well educated. You have the luxury of being well paid.

Is the guy who litter picks in the street any less valuable to society than being a solicitor or something? We need them all!

If it was value to society i'd pay the litter picker more and that's a serious comment.

I'm not aloof, i've worked 5 x 12 hour night shifts on static security duties, i've dug footings for building work,i've worked in low paid jobs to earn a living.

I now get paid what i think i deserve for the job i do,in the real world thats what matters. I earn my company a minimum of 1 million a year in turnover i'm worth more than 1%,to my employers a labourer isn't that productive financially so probably isn't worth much more than 1% to them.

Years of service are pro rata'd.

Hours would entirely depend on the contract, a full time contract could be zero guaranteed hours, a part time contract could be for a fixed number of hours.

I am, I assume we were. Why would we not be comparing like for like.

Part time/Full time is the comparison here, not temporary/permanent. The two are distinctly different things.

I was the one who brought it up so why do you get to decide?:huh: I was talking about making large businesses employ people on better terms, full time and permanent instead of part time and temporary. I was saying that I thought that was more important than increasing the minimum wage.

thats what it should be, why should i pay some spotty kid with no skill the same as i can hire a skill person for very similar money

urrr because you are filling an unskilled post maybe. If you are a shelf stacker you should be paid the same amount whether or not you hold a degree. The minimum wage is about unskilled jobs remember.

It might be more of an attitude that having worked hard at their education and career precisely to avoid being in that situation they feel that people must lay in the bed they've made for themselves instead of expecting a bail out.

That's just my point. Some people are in 'that bed' through no fault of their own.

As I said in an earlier post, is a readsweeper or litter picker of any less value to society as a solicitor? We all need them to do a good job. Is it right to have a breadwinner of a family working for minimum wage (which it's agreed isn't enough to live on...hence claiming top-up benefits). When this is purely profit driven from employers that can get away with it, just because they can!

If it was value to society i'd pay the litter picker more and that's a serious comment.

I'm not aloof, i've worked 5 x 12 hour night shifts on static security duties, i've dug footings for building work,i've worked in low paid jobs to earn a living.

I now get paid what i think i deserve for the job i do,in the real world thats what matters. I earn my company a minimum of 1 million a year in turnover i'm worth more than 1%,to my employers a labourer isn't that productive financially so probably isn't worth much more than 1% to them.

But I'll bet that almost all the posters on here, are fairly articulate, well educated, and have reasonable jobs which pay nowhere near the minimum wage. I've worked 12 hour night and day shifts in a milk bottling plant. Collected trolleys for tesco's, driven lorries, delivered pizza's all just to make a crust, when I had to. That's not what I do now, obviously.

I just wonder that some forget what it's like to struggle, or even know what it's like, and therefore have no concept of what it's like to be at the bottom of the ladder!

That's a very simplistic notion....So in your utopian worls nobody should buy anything manufactured anywhere but in the UK...Slightly insular wouldn't you say?

You must get out of this habit of asking someone a question and then assuming an answer. Particularly as you have a habit of getting it wrong.

So no in my Utopian world I would buy anything I saw fit to buy. But if I was involved in manufacturing a product and expected increased wages then I would feel a bit of a hypocrite if I expected folk to pay over the odds to buy it to protect my job, but then went out and bought foreign myself because it was cheaper. So you probably need to ask your question of folk who were making Fords until they priced themselves out of the market.

Archived