Minimum wage as opposed to Living wage. Shouldn't they be the same?

I was the one who brought it up so why do you get to decide?:huh: I was talking about making large businesses employ people on better terms, full time and permanent instead of part time and temporary. I was saying that I thought that was more important than increasing the minimum wage.

It's not that I get to decide.

It's that you said part time in comparison to full time.

You never mentioned temporary in comparison to permanent. I'm not a mind reader.

That's just my point. Some people are in 'that bed' through no fault of their own.

How's that then? They were forced to mess about a school, fail all their GCSEs and leave school at 14?

As I said in an earlier post, is a readsweeper or litter picker of any less value to society as a solicitor?

Yes, because anyone can do that job.

We all need them to do a good job. Is it right to have a breadwinner of a family working for minimum wage (which it's agreed isn't enough to live on...hence claiming top-up benefits). When this is purely profit driven from employers that can get away with it, just because they can!

I charge my employers as much as I can get away with, it works both ways.

It's not that I get to decide.

It's that you said part time in comparison to full time.

You never mentioned temporary in comparison to permanent. I'm not a mind reader.

I did say permanent full time.

In fact I stated that twice. In your replies you neglected the permanent part!

That's a very simplistic notion....So in your utopian worls nobody should buy anything manufactured anywhere but in the UK...Slightly insular wouldn't you say?

Isn't the Utopian World the one where everyone works for £50/hour and then spends it on goods made by folk on 10 Yen per hour?

The one most people live in is slightly different, and known as reality.

I did say permanent full time.

In fact I stated that twice. In your replies you neglected the permanent part!

Yes, you said permanent several times.

What you never was temporary.

You said permanent full time, and part time. Neither of us said temporary and so I (quite reasonably) assumed that permanent was what we were discussing. Permanent full time, versus permanent part time.

Hi truman, sorry about the message being shown twice,it's because the original one didn't show up at first, but if it's a minimum living amount then everyone should get it,or do you not give the unemployed enough to live on.

What would be the pont in working for minimum wage then?

But I'll bet that almost all the posters on here, are fairly articulate, well educated, and have reasonable jobs which pay nowhere near the minimum wage. I've worked 12 hour night and day shifts in a milk bottling plant. Collected trolleys for tesco's, driven lorries, delivered pizza's all just to make a crust, when I had to. That's not what I do now, obviously.

!

I've cleaned toliets on a large building site before,worked as a foundry labourer,worked in a toolmaker's,worked in the kitchen of a restuarant,delivered rental tellys..are you wanting to play "top trumps" with jobs...?

How's that then? They were forced to mess about a school, fail all their GCSEs and leave school at 14?

Yes, because anyone can do that job.

I charge my employers as much as I can get away with, it works both ways.

Some people aren't as clever as you. maybe they did mess about at school...But... maybe....just maybe there were other reasons...you can't assume that everyone who isn't on the same intellectual level as you is a waster by their own volition. Or maybe you can?

So a litter picker is the lowest of the low, because anyone can do it. He doesn't deserve to be paid a wage enough to live on and support himself? It may well be a fact that 'anyone' can do it. I just think you're a bit heartless, and a bit above it all.

You 'charge' your employers? (maybe you do, self employed or something), but most people apply for a job, and the employer say's this is the rate, like it or lump it (in the real world). It's only the more elite jobs where you can have any chance of bartering for a better salary and that's when usually you have some bartering leverage...

I've cleaned toliets on a large building site before,worked as a foundry labourer,worked in a toolmaker's,worked in the kitchen of a restuarant,delivered rental tellys..are you wanting to play "top trumps" with jobs...?

No it's not top trumps with jobs. All I was trying to convey is that I've been on the wrong end of the ladder at various times in my life, and remember it well enough. It seems some have the I'm alright Jack' syndrome and don't remember or have never been in that situation!

Archived