Minimum wage as opposed to Living wage. Shouldn't they be the same?

Pretty much. At the moment at least. It will change in time, expectedly when the BRICs reach our socio-economic station. Which won't be long at this rate.

Sorry Loob...you did it again!....Don't ya just hate acronyms!...Ummm...Whats a BRIC?...I just know it's going to be something blindingly obvious! :hihi:

Surely if a company decides to take on some labour. They do the sums first? At the moment thay do the sums to the tune of "what's the least I can get away with paying legally?"

Exactly...if the company can't afford the extra pay it won't set on extra workers..?

Exactly...if the company can't afford the extra pay it won't set on extra workers..?

In a way, that's my point too. If they can't afford a living wage, then they will probably get dross that doesn't actually want the job anyway, been forced into it, and be unreliable and will leave as soon as another job comes along which pays better.

So it's self defeating paying a minimum wage surely?

EDIT: I've been in that boat myself, when times were hard. I've taken a min wage job just to make ends meet or try to, and at that time I had to do 2 jobs. But as soon as something better came along I was soon off!

In a way, that's my point too. If they can't afford a living wage, then they will probably get dross that doesn't actually want the job anyway, been forced into it, and be unreliable and will leave as soon as another job comes along which pays better.

So it's self defeating paying a minimum wage surely?

Are you saying that everyone on the minimum wage is dross? Surely not... of course companies will pay what they have to to get the job done..

Archived