Minimum wage as opposed to Living wage. Shouldn't they be the same?

It appears from the news that a few councils including Sheffield are going to start paying the living wage; I guess that means our council taxes will have to rise to pay for it or some services and jobs will be cut.

It'll cost about 2 pound peanut.

The council only employ 275 people on the minimum wage. The vast majority of the "plebs" they outsource to the private sector, which will not be affected by the change.

Political stunt writ large.

I made a point in a previous thread (or it might have been at the beginning of this one) about erosion of differentials if the minimum wage goes up..what's the point in having more responsibility/qualifications etc if you're not much better off than those with neither...it's the people at the margins that will lose out..

You'd have thought so, but according to this article it doesn't happen. Whether it should happen is another question entirely. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20124499

It'll cost about 2 pound peanut.

The council only employ 275 people on the minimum wage. The vast majority of the "plebs" they outsource to the private sector, which will not be affected by the change.

Political stunt writ large.

Giving 275 people a £1 an hour pay rise will cost £500,000 at a time when councils are cutting services because of lack of money.

Hold up! Surely the minimum wage should apply to everyone so therefore the state pension should be equal too 40 hours minimum wage per week,each oap.

Why should it apply to people who don't work?

Hold up,Surely the minimum wage should apply to everyone,so every state pensioner should get the equivalent of 40 hours at minimum wage,each.

If you're going to repeat yourself at least answer a question aimed at the first time you said it...

Surely if a company decides to take on some labour. They do the sums first? At the moment thay do the sums to the tune of "what's the least I can get away with paying legally?"

And that's as it should be.

When a person looks for a job they also do the sums, that being mainly

"What's the highest salary I can get paid in exchange for my labour".

That's how a marketplace works, two sides both wanting as much as possible for doing as little as possible and supply and demand helping them to meet in the middle somewhere.

The whole of the employment system in todays jobs market is geared towards low pay and benefit top-ups. Oh and part time employment, again driven by the benefits culture. How many people only work 16 hours a week (or whatever the limit is), so that it won't affect their benefits?

How many would much prefer a full time job, if it paid a 'living' wage?

Maybe it's just the sectors that you are looking at.

I don't work with anyone being paid minimum wage, or the living wage, but then they're all skilled software developers, analysts, project managers, etc...

Minimum wage is better than living wage, as it only affects the poor, who tend to breed a lot. Thus malutrition to those large families allows their offspring to be more prone to disease in later years, as well as their parents.

A living wage will allow the families and individuals concerned to prosper, but as they are at the bottom of the social ladder, do they really deserve to do anything but suffer?

So the minimum wage is a good and effective way to get rid of surplus stock, without having to balme anyone, as its well known tbeing poor is a choice, and therefore they choose to be unhealthy, and more prone to premature death.

What a strange and rather illogical post.

And that's as it should be.

When a person looks for a job they also do the sums, that being mainly

"What's the highest salary I can get paid in exchange for my labour".

That's how a marketplace works, two sides both wanting as much as possible for doing as little as possible and supply and demand helping them to meet in the middle somewhere.

That's how it should be? I don't agree.

When a person is looking for work, I don't think 'doing sums' is what they're thinking, apart from how am I going to make this P*** poor wage stretch from one week to the next? I wonder what benefits I'll be entitled to, to be able to make ends meet?

I can't believe you actually think it's a good thing and perfectly reasonable for a company to pay minimum wage, just because they 'can'...and get away with it!

Pay your workers a decent wage, and you get the following benefits.

Respect from your employees.

More employee participation in making it a great place to work, and care about the quality of the work they do.

Less abenteeism.

Less staff turnover

A more focussed and stable workforce.

Pay peanuts and you get none of the above!

Archived