Minimum wage as opposed to Living wage. Shouldn't they be the same?

It'll cost about 2 pound peanut.

The council only employ 275 people on the minimum wage. The vast majority of the "plebs" they outsource to the private sector, which will not be affected by the change.

Political stunt writ large.

But if those on lowest pay rate get a 15% pay rise, those on next scale up also want a 15% pay rise to maintain differentials, and so it goes on. ... and the council tax goes up 15% to pay for it.

But if those on lowest pay rate get a 15% pay rise, those on next scale up also want a 15% pay rise to maintain differentials, and so it goes on. ... and the council tax goes up 15% to pay for it.

The council don't spend 100% of their budget on wages, and whilst there probably is a knock on effect, it can be reduced at each level (making the differentials smaller).

London specifically has a different value for it than everywhere else.

But your point is a good one. Portsmouth is probably more expensive to live in than Barnsley, living costs vary across the coutry, particularly accomodation costs.

It's difficult to legislate for, what if people want to work part time?

I am not suggesting anywhere near 100%. There are definitely companies that avoid taking on full time permanent members of staff because they cost so much more. If we enforce a certain percentage they would have to support their staff better which in my eyes is better than increasing the minimum wage.

If that were true the Nationalised coal mines and steel works would still be profitable. Only one of your 4 points referred to either job = less staff turnover,because they were overpaid.

Workers should get paid what the job is worth - if that doesn't mirror what they think they should be earning don't take the job.

However in answer to your question i do think the minimum wage should be a living wage.

The problem is, that you probably have the luxury of being in a well paid job. I do too. It's kind of the ivory tower syndrome. It's easy to be aloof and say if the job doesn't pay enough then don't take the job. The reality is very much different, if you're not well educated. You have the luxury of being well paid.

Is the guy who litter picks in the street any less valuable to society than being a solicitor or something? We need them all!

I am not suggesting anywhere near 100%. There are definitely companies that avoid taking on full time permanent members of staff because they cost so much more. If we enforce a certain percentage they would have to support their staff better which in my eyes is better than increasing the minimum wage.

How does a full time member of staff cost more than 2 part time members of staff?

If it costs me £0.04/month then I really won't care.

If it costs me £30/month then I will.

TBH I suspect that it will end up costing more than £30/month. It starts in the public sector and puts pressure on the private sector to do likewise. In the meantime businesses start passing on their increased costs and pretty soon the pond shops are charging £2.

The reality is, that it's just the differentials that get squeezed. It's not an across the board rise. My OH is in that unfortunate boat. Those who work under her, are only 40p per hour worse off than she is!

Archived