Minimum wage as opposed to Living wage. Shouldn't they be the same?

So you're all for pittance wages then?...That's what you appear to be infering.

Simple solution to the problem there (long term I know). Don't buy a Ford vehicle made in Rumania.

I always used to have a Dyson Vaccum cleaner, but since they shifted production to Malasia or wherever it was, I won't touch their products with a bargepole!

I inferred nothing. But do you prefer it if UK jobs go abroad because that's what you are inferring. The only jobs that are safe from foreign competition are ones in the public sector which is why the country can't afford them and is making cuts. Isn't it odd that councils and public sector employers are advocating pay rises whilst cutting jobs through lack of cash?

So as a matter of interest, as you won't be driving a Ford, what make of vehicle do you drive? And as you won't touch a Dyson what brand of vac do you own?

Simple solution to the problem there (long term I know). Don't buy a Ford vehicle made in Rumania.

I always used to have a Dyson Vaccum cleaner, but since they shifted production to Malasia or wherever it was, I won't touch their products with a bargepole!

Consumer boycotts are all very well, and anyone who buys with such a conscience should be commended, but most people just want the cheapest prices.

In a way, it's a viscous cycle isn't it? Low wages means less consumer purchasing power, which leads them to buy the cheapest produced goods, which in turn supports cheap, un-unionised labour. The companies who employ the cheapest labour then become empowered in the marketplace.

What is the best way to minimise the rise in consumer prices caused by the central government enforcing minimum standards upon business?

Would giving those who are most connected to business (its stakeholders - workers and investors) a more balanced means of negotiation (i.e. codetermination laws) not result in a more careful distribution of capital? I think so.

It's not that cut and dried. Even if ford dropped wages to minimum wage, romanian wages (and no doubt other costs) still would have been cheaper. And minimum wage/living wage really only affects full time workers. The student doing a bit of bar work just for beer money probably doesn't need more than minimum wage. A main breadwinner definately will. It's all relative.

Yes I appreciate there's more to most things than meets the eye. Ford probably made that decision months ago. So the minimum wage or living wage has no bearing upon the decision to move anyway. Just wait for the build quality of cars made there go down the pan!

The student working in a bar, is probably trying to make ends meet, and is accutely aware of his 32k loan that he's ultimately got to pay back! They're not all drunken slobs!

What 'made in the UK' vacuum do you now use?

Yes I appreciate there's more to most things than meets the eye. Ford probably made that decision months ago. So the minimum wage or living wage has no bearing upon the decision to move anyway. Just wait for the build quality of cars made there go down the pan!

I think the final nail in the coffin at Ford was the strike this year over pay & pensions.

Why would you expect quality to drop because Ford moved to Rumania. It doesn't seem to have affected Renault who have made many of their cars there for a decade. Its not as though they have transferred production to someone like British Leyland.

I inferred nothing. But do you prefer it if UK jobs go abroad because that's what you are inferring. The only jobs that are safe from foreign competition are ones in the public sector which is why the country can't afford them and is making cuts. Isn't it odd that councils and public sector employers are advocating pay rises whilst cutting jobs through lack of cash?

So as a matter of interest, as you won't be driving a Ford, what make of vehicle do you drive? And as you won't touch a Dyson what brand of vac do you own?

I drive a Toyota Avensis (made in UK) and use a Vax! (Uk too I believe)

In answer to your first point. NO I most definitely not prefer jobs to be exported. But by the same token 'you' infer that it's ok to pay as little as possible. I know it's catch 22, and I'm not sure what the answer is. All I know is, that rates of pay have been stifled since the minimum wage came about. I personally have around about the same wage I did, way back in 1999. That's 12 years effectively, with no increase in wages. Isn't that a scandal?

I personally have around about the same wage I did, way back in 1999. That's 12 years effectively, with no increase in wages. Isn't that a scandal?

I don't know if it's a scandal or not. Would you prefer to be out of work from a higher paid job or in work where you are? 85% of the cars sold in the UK are made abroad so I have to assume that millions of UK workers who bleat about their rate of pay are happy to buy goods made by foreign workers but then expect other workers to buy goods that they make. I suppose some might associate names with British manufacturers but VAX have been made in Asia for a decade now.

I cannot find out where it is manufactured though...
Probably mainland China, like most FMCG goods these days. Though it'll likely take you some days and weeks to find relevant, corroborating information via public means (Internet and such)...if ever.

How would I know? Because I work with a number of household-name British FMCG 'manufacturers', and know where all of their goods are made, in order to advise and implement relevant IP strategies for such goods (which allow control of manufacturing, under relevant licenses).

Archived