Car insurance for my young son

Slightly O/T ..my wife's niece bought a car (206) before she passed her test and her younger sister (18) insured it to use as her car until older sister passed test. She pulled out of a junction on friday infront of a the Land Rover. Damage to front of car, just panels but a write off (car cost £600). Her insurance has a £350 excess and also an additional excess of £450 if a claim is made in the first year. So her excess payments are easily more than the car is worth! The additional excess was in the small print and only came to light when they told the IC about the accident.

God knows what the renewal cost will be!

Just a warning to read the policy carefully.

Nope, you're right but that's how the algorithms work. If it will shave a few hundred off it's worth doing

I know..we did it with our kids..it just doesn't seem to make sense..you have to be able to prove just about anything on your insurance application yet this is one thing that can bring the price down by quite an amount .. yet no proof of the "safe" driver ever using the car is required..

Slightly O/T ..my wife's niece bought a car (206) before she passed her test and her younger sister (18) insured it to use as her car until older sister passed test. She pulled out of a junction on friday infront of a the Land Rover. Damage to front of car, just panels but a write off (car cost £600). Her insurance has a £350 excess and also an additional excess of £450 if a claim is made in the first year. So her excess payments are easily more than the car is worth! The additional excess was in the small print and only came to light when they told the IC about the accident.

God knows what the renewal cost will be!

Just a warning to read the policy carefully.

I'm not sure how much difference the value of your car makes to the premuim..you have to remember that you can write off a 70k merc or a bus queue of people with a car worth £500..

I know..we did it with our kids..it just doesn't seem to make sense..you have to be able to prove just about anything on your insurance application yet this is one thing that can bring the price down by quite an amount .. yet no proof of the "safe" driver ever using the car is required..

I can't fathom it either. Still, nice to be able to do something o bring the cost down for a change!

Endsleigh are one of the cheapest for young people however if you have a problem their customer services is appauling.... Also the area you live in has a massive impact on the insurance price especially as a young driver i'm 21 on my 2nd year of driving and due to been a student get ripped off anyway, but from moving house from one side of Sheffield to the other my insurance has dropped by nearly £1000

Archived