Car insurance for my young son

Is there an answer, Ash? - I don't know.

Fact: Newly-qualified and inexperienced drivers in the UK have an inordinately large number of accidents.

But let's put this into perspective and to do so, I'd like to compare the statistics to newly-qualified drivers elsewhere.

(We can do the US if you like ... PM me. (I've got the stats, but IMO, they're not really relevant.)

A learner driver in Germany can get a limited licence - having taken a driver training course - at 17. That licence allows the learner to drive (under parental supervision.)

Ordinarily, you can't get a licence to drive until you are 18. TRo get a licence you must:

Take a course of theoretical driver training (many hours of classroom studies. It's a serious course, with exams.

Undergo many (very many) hours of practical driver training, with a fully-qualified driving instructor. During these (very many) hours of training, you will:

Drive in towns

Drive in extra-urban encironments (40[ish] areas.

Drive on single cariageways with a 100KpH limit.

Drive on Autobahnen ... at very high speeds, too. A student might be expected to drive at a speed appropriate to the car being driven. If it's a fast car, the student should be expected to demonstrate competence.

For some strange reason (and I don't know why) German students end up being pretty competent. And their insurance premiums reflect their competence and their accident probability.

It works for them - but not for the Brits.

When I was 17, I had a licence to fly airplanes. I couldn't drive a bloody car! - didn't know how.

At 21, there wasn't a car insurer in the world who would've trusted me or any one of my friends to drive a vehicle in a straight line.

Insurance for young drivers (even then) was expensive, especially if the insurance co knew you tended not to hang around. Unfair, really.

Our sons passed their tests a few years ago. We found out through word of mouth that More Than did a policy with a curfew but they did not publicise it. You need to ask them about it. It cut a load off their premiums. They put a tracker in the car that tells them if the car is started between 11pm and 6am. If the car was started between those times, they charged £25. It worked great for ours and us, as we knew they were inside between those hours and safe. They can be anywhere in the country but car must be parked up between those times. Give them a call and see how you go. Good luck.

i have been on the phone and net most of the day,

and cant find anything under 4.5k

i was just wondering who everyone else uses.

and i cant put him on my traders policy, they wont let me

its for a corsa 1.0.

might it be cheaper to buy him a newer car, i dont know.

there lots of young uns driving about, so there must be someone who insures them, at reasonable money, but four and a half grand is stupid

Just a thought. Some offers on new cars sometimes include insurance. Are these aimed at anyone, or do they specifically exclude the younger inexperienced drivers.

Just a thought. Some offers on new cars sometimes include insurance. Are these aimed at anyone, or do they specifically exclude the younger inexperienced drivers.

They are full of clauses. We managed to get out of buying a Peugeot a few years ago because once we'd taken delivery of the car, the "free" insurance was void for my partner due to her age and also inexperience in driving (less than a year I seem to remember).

As for a Corsa being expensive to insure, this is probably due to the high number of them being driven (and crashed/bumped) by newer drivers. So statistically a high risk car. I know when I started getting insured, it was cheaper for me to insure a 2.0l than a small car. I just drove around in boring, large engined, old man style cars for a couple of years.

Comfier back seats too:hihi:

I insure cars in

The United Kingdom,

The United States

Germany.

My premiums are (I hope . 40+ years no claims) about as low as you can get.

(For me) the UK is cheapest. (My policies are 'all driver')

But for my 26 yr old son, it's cheaper to insure him in Germany than it is in the UK

Shop around.

try the co-op young drivers insurance they put a box in your car to check how you are driving and if you drive good for 90days you get abit refunded from the premium if you pay full or if you pay monthly they lower your payments i am 18 and passed my test 3 months ago and i am paying just under 1000 for the year on my own policy with no other drivers on a 1.2 corsa

Tescobank.com :) Not tescos compare site but their actual insurance site.

I pay £96 a month now, I'm 21, 1 yrs no claims, driving a St220 Mondeo about now. It helped to have myself as the main driver, my mother (14 yrs no claims) as a named driver, my ex (3 years no claims) as a named driver and be honest and up front. Tell them the truth.

I got them to cut mine down from £116 to £96 by calling them and telling them I had 2 children, I wasn't going to be ragging the car about. I lived on a quiet street where no cars have been stolen to my knowledge in the past 3 years. They chopped the price down (probably to get me off the phone) :)

Archived