1930s council houses in Greenhill

annalucy

I recently bought a 1930s red brick ex council house in Greenhill. There are a number of original features such as a cast iron fireplace in the master bedroom and we recently discovered some red quarry tiles beneath the carpet in the hallway. The fireplace in the living room has been replaced by a gas fire with a teak looking surround. I was hoping that there might be some remainder of the original fireplace behind it when we remove it. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the fireplace would have originally been like? Are there are any other original features that you have discovered?

There a hell of a lot of 1930s houses in this city and indeed the country. The relaxation in planning permission from 33-39 got us out of an economic hole. It allowed for massive amounts of building and massive improvements in living standards.

The houses built back then are FAR superior to many of the new builds today.

Stand up straight and put your hands in the air, can you touch the ceiling? Can you eckers like!, you clearly don't live in a new build slum ;)

Archived