Just who was your first young love

flyer

Marion Thompson of Scunthorpe. We met as teenagers in the unromantic circumstances of a Sheffield hospital in 1967. Definitely love at first sight. Marion would take the train to Sheffield every Saturday, and I would hitch-hike to Scunthorpe the following Saturday (I was blowed if I was paying 14/6 [72½p] on the train, after all I'm a Yorkshireman...) and we were sweethearts for over a year. But it was just the wrong time. We were 40 miles apart (we didn't even have telephones in those days, let alone the Internet), I couldn't find a suitable job, etc. etc. And so - reluctantly and very amicably - we parted in November 1968. I got on with my life, worked for a bank for 30+ years before retiring early, wrote books, travelled the world (43 countries so far), looked after my widowed mother (she passed away in September, aged 87) etc. etc. Imagine my surprise when, in March 2005, this old bachelor got an email from the now-widowed Marion - thanks to http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk. The fact that I am typing this on Marion's computer in Scunthorpe says it all. After exchanging emails for a few weeks, in April 2005 we met at Sheffield station for the first time in 37 years. We will be married in March.:love:
#

Very Mills and Boon lol, truth is just going through the same, a girl i dated 36 years ago! i was far too immature at the time, even at 15.

Poor girl still loves me lol, and i am now grown up enough to realise we should always have been together. We are now a couple again and making plans.

I think its a bad idea to try to go back to old girl friends best to remember them as they were back in the day!.Everyone except one I have bumped into after reminisceing with them I had the same thought"Thank god I didn,t get stuck with her!",a cruel thing to say but true, they most likely thought the same about me but hey ho life goes on,I,m just an old romantic!.

If anyone else say my love Laura Bergoyne 1939 I;ll be over there in a flash to sort them out
Are you being frank?.;) My dad knew some Burgoynes in Hillsborough; maybe they're related.
I met the first love of my life when I was 7 years old when he moved into a house a few doors away.................We grew up together and have been married 40 years this may!
Best wishes for your Ruby Wedding in May! It took me almost 40 years to marry my first love Marion, but we'll have been married 7 years in March. Seven-year itch? not me!..:)

Mine was Andrea from he Littledale. She was a member of the Helen Shapiro fan club.

We went to Manchester for fan club get together and the divine Helen was present.

I have never seen so many weirdoes in one place.

They had a competition for all the girls present who had to mime to a "Helen" song.

The boys had the mime to a record of Trini Lopez singing "if I had a hammer",

Andrea asked me to join in, I replied saying that I would rather eat my ear.

The journey home was silent and she packed me up that night.

Thank god.

Are you being frank?.;) My dad knew some Burgoynes in Hillsborough; maybe they're related.Best wishes for your Ruby Wedding in May! It took me almost 40 years to marry my first love Marion, but we'll have been married 7 years in March. Seven-year itch? not me!..:)

Thanks......glad to know you are happy too!:)

Archived