Flu Jab - thinking about having it ?

I haven't had my flu jab despite text messages and letters, no side effects, no chance of any side effects and I feel great.

The real big chance of side effects for you is catching the flu!

I've had both normal flu and swine flu, and neither of them were very pleasant at all. Both took months of treatment for my asthma to get it stabilised and I'd rather have a vaccination to reduce my chances of getting it again.

All the odds being equal and all that, I'd rather have a couple of days of a lump on my leg where I had the injection than flu.

You can't get flu from the flu jab, because the virus used is dead. Your body will make antibodies to combat that dead virus (because it doesn't know the virus is dead) and that may cause problems.

But how bad would those problems be if the virus wasn't dead and your body was trying to make antibodies to combat a live virus which was replicating rapidly?

You can still get flu if you have a flu shot. - It will take time to build up an immunity and you could get infected in the meantime.

You can spread the virus whether you are immune or not - but not very efficiently. You could pick up viruses on your hand from one doorknob and deposit them on another. - But that's nowhere near as efficient a way of spreading the virus as sneezing and blowing out an aerosol cloud of viruses to infect everybody within a few yards.

The more people who have a flu jab, the bigger the pool of immune people and the smaller the pool of people available to spread it around.

Archived