Flu Jab - thinking about having it ?

Yes it has, by anyone worth listening to.

Wakefield is a liar and a fraud. He is single handedly responsible for the mental anguish of many thousands of parents. His lies also caused a steep rise in the number of cases of measles in the UK.

Not bad work for an ex-doctor.

You (like the media) seem to attribute rather a lot to Dr Wakefield which is very unfair, he never suggested that people should stop taking the measles jab, only that perhaps it was safer, at least until further studies had been done, to give the single vaccine rather than the MMR.

It was the fault of the media hype that people were scared into not taking the jab, and that the single vaccine wasn't made available.

Well, they wouldn't want all that MMR going to waste and denting their profits would they? Much better to attack and discredit the Doctor threatening sales.

You (like the media) seem to attribute rather a lot to Dr Wakefield which is very unfair, he never suggested that people should stop taking the measles jab, only that perhaps it was safer, at least until further studies had been done, to give the single vaccine rather than the MMR.

It was the fault of the media hype that people were scared into not taking the jab, and that the single vaccine wasn't made available.

Well, they wouldn't want all that MMR going to waste and denting their profits would they?uch better to attack and discredit the Doctor threatening sales.

In a way, you have a point. The media did a shockingly bad job. Wakefield provided them with the bullets though. His research was also very sparse and unethical in the extreme.

I don't know whether you've read anything by Ben Goldacre. He has an interesting take on the affair. You can read it here.

It isn't a typical SF link. It contains considered journalism, independent thought, evidence and critical analysis. (It does mention the Daily Mail though:D) Well worth ten minutes of your life.

Well, they wouldn't want all that MMR going to waste and denting their profits would they? Much better to attack and discredit the Doctor threatening sales.

Have a read at his patent application

"t has now also been shown that use of the MMR vaccine (whichis taken to include live attenuated measles measles virus mumps vaccine virus and virus and wild strains of the afore mentiones viruses) results in ileal lymphoid nodular hyperplasia colitis and regressive developmental autism RBD in some infants Before were shown to have a normal developmental often within days to weeks of receiving the infants can begin to noticeably regress over to a clinical diagnosis of autism leading to a clinical diagnosis of autism The MMR vaccine was first used in 1968 and a study in Sweden has shown recently that the prevalence of children with significantly risen "

If that isn't linking MMR vaccine with autism then what is it doing?

http://www.google.com/patents/US6534259?printsec=description#v=onepage&q=%22it%20has%20now%20also%20been%20shown%20that%20use%20of%20the%20MMR%20vaccine%22&f=false

In a way, you have a point. The media did a shockingly bad job. Wakefield provided them with the bullets though. His research was also very sparse and unethical in the extreme.

I don't know whether you've read anything by Ben Goldacre. He has an interesting take on the affair. You can read it here.

It isn't a typical SF link. It contains considered journalism, independent thought, evidence and critical analysis. (It does mention the Daily Mail though:D) Well worth ten minutes of your life.

I'll take a look at that, thank-you.

I have my flu jab every year as i am asthmatic, I think as well as the person who needs the jab for health reasons the other members of their household should have it too,if they get the flu they can still pass it on even if you have had the jab you can still get a mild form

I have my flu jab every year as i am asthmatic, I think as well as the person who needs the jab for health reasons the other members of their household should have it too,if they get the flu they can still pass it on even if you have had the jab you can still get a mild form

So the jab only works if you are not exposed to the virus?

Isn't that like buying a fireproof suit, that only works if you avoid going near fires? In other words, quite pointless.

Archived