Where to bury Richard III

It's probably safest to give him a Catholic burial I reckon given that he was a catholic...

I don't see that there would (or could be) any problem. A Requiem Mass is a Catholic religious ceremony, but it isn't a vital part of a funeral. (You can be buried without a Requiem Mass.)

'Being buried' isn't a sacrament as far as the Catholic church is concerned. - It's simply how you dispose of used bodies.

What would Richard III think if he'd known that the family that were his mortal enemies (the Tudors) would eventually launch an attack on the Catholic faith which would persist for centuries. Would he have wanted to be buried in one of the replacement faith's churches?

... In a non-Catholic cathedral?

What do you mean 'one of the replacement faith's churches?'

When Richard was alive, the Churches of England (which were the property of the English people) were of the Catholic Rite.

When Henry Vlll took over (and made a few bob from the coffers of the churches while doing so) the 'new management' [replacement faith] didn't build any new churches.

If RIchard lll should not be interred in a church/cathedral which subsequently became a C of E building, should all those who died before the Reformation and are buried in similar buildings be disinterred and buried in Catholic churches?

I don't see that there would (or could be) any problem. A Requiem Mass is a Catholic religious ceremony, but it isn't a vital part of a funeral. (You can be buried without a Requiem Mass.)

'Being buried' isn't a sacrament as far as the Catholic church is concerned. - It's simply how you dispose of used bodies.

What do you mean 'one of the replacement faith's churches?'

When Richard was alive, the Churches of England (which were the property of the English people) were of the Catholic Rite.

When Henry Vlll took over (and made a few bob from the coffers of the churches while doing so) the 'new management' [replacement faith] didn't build any new churches.

If RIchard lll should not be interred in a church/cathedral which subsequently became a C of E building, should all those who died before the Reformation and are buried in similar buildings be disinterred and buried in Catholic churches?

For practical reasons all the past monarchs should not be dug up and placed elsewhere.

But this is a unique situation.

If it can't be resolved he could just go back in the car park.

The Catholic faith was basically persecuted from the reign of Henry VIII. The CofE WAS the replacement established church. Many prominent Catholic church buildings and monasteries were actually demolished at the time. Many others were severely damaged or fell into a bad state of repair - I can see the grounds of one (Beauchief Abbey) from my house ;) .

---------- Post added 08-02-2013 at 18:30 ----------

Here you go. The nearest catholic friary:

http://www.friar.org/locations/nottingham.html

Edited by I1L2T3

The Catholic faith was basically persecuted from the reign of Henry VIII. The CofE WAS the replacement established church. Many prominent Catholic church buildings and monasteries were actually demolished at the time. Many others were severely damaged or fell into a bad state of repair - I can see the grounds of one (Beauchief Abbey) from my house ;) ...

History does tend to be slanted by whoever writes it.

I too learned (at school) about 'the dissolution of the monasteries' and I too was fed the 'party line' about Henry Vlll 'reforming' the church.

Henry Vlll - like many monarchs before and after him - was often short of money.

Henry and his cronies didn't come up with a new set of beliefs. In fact, there was only one new belief. - The belief that he would be financially far better off if he was running the show than if the Pope was running the Church in England from Rome.

Henry's motivation was quite simple: "If I run the show, I make the rules and I keep the money."