If food aid and other associated charity is necessary, should we ban usury?

Who should we feed?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who should we feed?

• Feed the hungry and the moneylenders.
    • Feed the hungry not the moneylenders.
    • Feed the moneylenders not the hungry.
    • Feed neither.

Just been watching "Britain's Hidden Hungry" on BBC1. Many people receiving food aid, all of them were UK citizens!

Some were cheating the system! (Shame on them!)

Some were arguably not it need of aid.

Some were in need of aid. Many of these in poverty due to usury (some of the debts were accrued by desperate people so that they could buy food!)

All of them had the heating on to some degree in their properties. I personally find this somewhat offensive, food comes before heating. One should be fully in absolute heating poverty before they claim food aid if you ask me! (Unless they have children, disabled, or elderly (55+) in their home.)

Most people say food, shelter and warmth are the basics that people need, but appropriate shelter IS warmth, extra layers and blankets INSIDE a dwelling provide warmth.

Anyhow, we have charity to help those in need (some might say - to bail out the feckless), in reality it's probably a mixture of the two.

Charity is necessary.

But should we really be bailing out the profligate who take high interest loans? - I would say no!

We shouldn't allow these people to be exploited by usury in the first place.

If we allow these people to be exploited and then bail them out, we are effectively subsidising the usurers!

We are feeding people so that they continue to pay their debts to the predatory groups in our society whom are happy to exploit the poorest for personal gain.

Should we really be feeding the hungry, whilst we allowing them to be held in debt bondage to moneylenders?

By all means we should feed the hungry, but should we really be feeding them so that they can service odious debts?

Who should we feed?

Usury is an offence under the law. One of the biggest culprits is WONGA.com, which, by the way is headed by a BIG PAL of Smarmy Dave Cameron. This WONGA prat also advocates cutting benefits and contributes heavily to the Tory party.

Why isn't he charged with usury ?? 2000% APR is usury.

Usury is an offence under the law. One of the biggest culprits is WONGA.com, which, by the way is headed by a BIG PAL of Smarmy Dave Cameron. This WONGA prat also advocates cutting benefits and contributes heavily to the Tory party.

Why isn't he charged with usury ?? 2000% APR is usury.

I tell you what mate, I smoke class B drug cannabis and openly admit to it readily, and I have been punished for such behaviour (once when I could have got away with it - ended up with £80 fine!), I don't think it is wrong to use cannabis but they are the rules, so I pays me fines.

I don't believe I harm myself, anybody else or society as a whole, at least when I can score fairtrade ganja (I tend to only buy fairtrade)

I cannot tolerate usurers at all though, I feel compelled to smash their windows, but I restrain myself. These people clearly harm others and society as a whole.

It'll not be long before I will be getting lumbered for bills for new windows the way they are carrying on though. It crosses my mind to consult some glaziers first to get a discount. I can't carry out my business without passing these dens of iniquity. They are everywhere and they are robbing people blind! They shouldn't be allowed to rob people in the first place.

I tell you what mate, I smoke class B drug cannabis and openly admit to it readily, and I have been punished for such behaviour (once when I could have got away with it - ended up with £80 fine!), I don't think it is wrong to use cannabis but they are the rules, so I pays me fines.

I don't believe I harm myself, anybody else or society as a whole, at least when I can score fairtrade ganja (I tend to only buy fairtrade)

I cannot tolerate usurers at all though, I feel compelled to smash their windows, but I restrain myself. These people clearly harm others and society as a whole.

It'll not be long before I will be getting lumbered for bills for new windows the way they are carrying on though. It crosses my mind to consult some glaziers first to get a discount. I can't carry out my business without passing these dens of iniquity. They are everywhere and they are robbing people blind! They shouldn't be allowed to rob people in the first place.

Could not have put it better sir.

What in gods name is fairtrade ganja. ? :huh:

All profits arising from the production and sale are either spent in the local community or donated to charity.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/10/19/british-couple-jailed-for-growing-marijuana-for-charity/

A British couple in their sixties have been jailed for growing marijuana in their back garden. Michael Foster, 62, and Susan Cooper, 63, from Little Sutton in Lincolnshire had been growing the illicit plant on their property for six years undetected by the local police. In fact, the only reason for their arrest was that an officer happened to be chasing a burglar nearby and detected the familiar smell of cannabis.

The couple, who made about $650,000 from selling the drug, dedicated large amounts of their profit to supporting a poor Kenyan village. They paid for the life-saving surgery of a young man who needed his leg amputated, they bought computers for an eye hospital in the village and they helped support children at a local school. The case was described by the Lincoln Crown Court as “the most unusual cannabis growing case of this type”, as the Guardian reported.

They aren't the only ones doing it, but there cells of fairtrade ganja growers round the country. (It's a grassroot thing - literally - cannabis culture to some degree, a lot of people just want access to clean product, they aren't bothered about profit, cannabis users are the only consumers who actually actively plead to be taxed for the communal good!)

If we could please go back on topic though, we can see how some blackmarket industries self regulate for the communal good.

Whilst we have legal usury that is bad for society.

Ah. !

It's a shame you never replied to my pm btw. ;)

I'm trying to reorganise my pm inbox mate - I plan to reply. Will pm you my email address as I am keen to read more, am always open to learning new things, but have too much to process at the minute - wish I could do the trick that johnny 5 had in short circuit :hihi:

If you send to my email I have infinite inbox so don't have to worry about storage of messages! (SF PM limit of just 35 is a right bug bear!)

Just been watching "Britain's Hidden Hungry" on BBC1. Many people receiving food aid, all of them were UK citizens!

Some were cheating the system! (Shame on them!)

Some were arguably not it need of aid.

Some were in need of aid. Many of these in poverty due to usury (some of the debts were accrued by desperate people so that they could buy food!)

All of them had the heating on to some degree in their properties. I personally find this somewhat offensive, food comes before heating. One should be fully in absolute heating poverty before they claim food aid if you ask me! (Unless they have children, disabled, or elderly (55+) in their home.)

Most people say food, shelter and warmth are the basics that people need, but appropriate shelter IS warmth, extra layers and blankets INSIDE a dwelling provide warmth.

Anyhow, we have charity to help those in need (some might say - to bail out the feckless), in reality it's probably a mixture of the two.

Charity is necessary.

But should we really be bailing out the profligate who take high interest loans? - I would say no!

We shouldn't allow these people to be exploited by usury in the first place.

If we allow these people to be exploited and then bail them out, we are effectively subsidising the usurers!

We are feeding people so that they continue to pay their debts to the predatory groups in our society whom are happy to exploit the poorest for personal gain.

Should we really be feeding the hungry, whilst we allowing them to be held in debt bondage to moneylenders?

By all means we should feed the hungry, but should we really be feeding them so that they can service odious debts?

Who should we feed?

I think the programme was trying to make the point that people who need food handouts are not all down and outs wearing rags, but ordinary people like you and me who've fallen on hard times.

I agree with you about the loan companies that charge extortionate rates of interest. But people will use them if they are desperate, and can't obtain money anywhere else. The government should limit the rates of interest they are allowed to charge, and every area should have a proper credit union set up, so people don't need to go to these disgusting loan sharks.

I think the programme was trying to make the point that people who need food handouts are not all down and outs wearing rags, but ordinary people like you and me who've fallen on hard times.

Aye. But it also made out that many who were receiving aid, weren't entitled and that the entitlement of others was debatable..

I agree with you about the loan companies that charge extortionate rates of interest. But people will use them if they are desperate, and can't obtain money anywhere else. The government should limit the rates of interest they are allowed to charge, and every area should have a proper credit union set up, so people don't need to go to these disgusting loan sharks.

Some had got into debt for food, some had got into debt for extravagances.

By giving people food aid, people were able to pay their debts (some of the very odious indeed), the moneylender did not have to lose out on his 'investment', to some degree the food banks guaranteed his profit.

Archived