Do threads only get more posts if there's a good argument?

It seems to me, having started quite a few threads on quite diverse subjects. Some die a death. These seem to be where most of the posters seem to agree. Some go on forever. These in general seem to be where there's a steaming argument and people have wildly conflicting views.

What makes a thread worth posting in? Is it the prospect of a good row? Is it being incensed by some kind of wild ideology that you don't agree with?

I wonder!

It seems to me, having started quite a few threads on quite diverse subjects. Some die a death. These seem to be where most of the posters seem to agree. Some go on forever. These in general seem to be where there's a steaming argument and people have wildly conflicting views.

What makes a thread worth posting in? Is it the prospect of a good row? Is it being incensed by some kind of wild ideology that you don't agree with?

I wonder!

Good question - it seems as though it is linked to something I have pondered - why do trolls troll?

PS - just thought - don't mean you!

If you post something which interests people, they will answer.

There are indeed threads which aren't particularly interesting, but which needle people and which attract posts - but in the main, the posts on such threads are limited to 'point scoring' or sniping.

I do enjoy arguing ... but I'd far rather debate a point.

Or waffle.:hihi:

Good question - it seems as though it is linked to something I have pondered - why do trolls troll?

PS - just thought - don't mean you!

Yes I know you weren't refering to me with the troll thing. That's not by 'bag'. But as you rightly ponder, I sometimes wonder that too. After a while on here, you do get to recognise the 'pattern'. I still fall for it sometimes, but I'm getting better at avoiding them.

If you post something which interests people, they will answer.

There are indeed threads which aren't particularly interesting, but which needle people and which attract posts - but in the main, the posts on such threads are limited to 'point scoring' or sniping.

I do enjoy arguing ... but I'd far rather debate a point.

Or waffle.:hihi:

I find, it's the subject matter where it so incenses someone, that they can't help themselves, and have to 'have a go'.

In response to your point of enjoying arguing, but would rather debate. What's the definition of the two? They debate in the house of commons, but some would say it's merely arguing, with a fancy name!

I've no doubt there are nice differences, but as far as I'm concerned:

Argue is when I win (and I usually do win when I argue) - it goes with the job.

Debate is when I listen to you before I argue.

Hahaha...Great definition, albeit a bit smug! :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Archived