Do threads only get more posts if there's a good argument?

It seems to me, having started quite a few threads on quite diverse subjects. Some die a death. These seem to be where most of the posters seem to agree. Some go on forever. These in general seem to be where there's a steaming argument and people have wildly conflicting views.

What makes a thread worth posting in? Is it the prospect of a good row? Is it being incensed by some kind of wild ideology that you don't agree with?

I wonder!

Also, as a side issue (but related). Are you put off from posting in a thread where people are arguing? Or is it more appealing?

Or are you a lurker, who watches and says nothing (silly question really, cos any lurkers aren't going to post! :) )

It seems to me, having started quite a few threads on quite diverse subjects. Some die a death. These seem to be where most of the posters seem to agree. Some go on forever. These in general seem to be where there's a steaming argument and people have wildly conflicting views.

What makes a thread worth posting in? Is it the prospect of a good row? Is it being incensed by some kind of wild ideology that you don't agree with?

I wonder!

There are a load of folk around who have nothing better to do 24/7 than post on here. If one of them starts a thread and keeps banging on he will always find someone to join in. If you can get 3 or 4 of the" real know it all and now't better to do" brigade there's no reason why a thread won't go on and on and on like they do.

The thread subject has little bearing on events. Its just the boredom of those who haven't anything else to do.

A certain number of correspondents on here seem to labour under the misapprehension that merely repeating the same mantra again and again, within a given thread, constitutes a debate. I does not. A debate is where people continue to bring forth further information to support their point of view or develop said point of view as the discussion progresses.

Discussion of the subject of motoring tend to provoke this sanctimonious pedantry more than most. The “All speed is bad, all cars/motorists are evil” brigade do seem to be a little hard of thinking.

A certain number of correspondents on here seem to labour under the misapprehension that merely repeating the same mantra again and again, within a given thread, constitutes a debate. I does not. A debate is where people continue to bring forth further information to support their point of view or develop said point of view as the discussion progresses.

Discussion of the subject of motoring tend to provoke this sanctimonious pedantry more than most. The “All speed is bad, all cars/motorists are evil” brigade do seem to be a little hard of thinking.

Yeah but that's just the point. Wildly opposing opinions. = Arguments = More thread posts.

Yeah but that's just the point. Wildly opposing opinions. = Arguments = More thread posts.

That would be fine if they advaced their arguments, but they don't, they they just keep repeating the same thing.

I don't mind a debate with anyone who is intelligent, but most of us outgrow just repeating the same thing long before puberty.

Just repeating (for instance) "Driving fast is dangerous" twenty times doesn't make it any more correct than than it was the first time.

Archived