Do threads only get more posts if there's a good argument?

It seems to me, having started quite a few threads on quite diverse subjects. Some die a death. These seem to be where most of the posters seem to agree. Some go on forever. These in general seem to be where there's a steaming argument and people have wildly conflicting views.

What makes a thread worth posting in? Is it the prospect of a good row? Is it being incensed by some kind of wild ideology that you don't agree with?

I wonder!

I very rarely start a thread ,and must admit im a little shocked at how popular my thread about the "signage in private car parks" in the sheffield discussions has been.

Anything even slightly controversial usually turns into a long drawn out thread for obvious reasons. Ive also noticed any thread thats mentions cyclists, Muslims, Religion, ( the latter two i avoid at all costs ) tend to be the usual "Big" threads , unless they are cut short due to the over the top bickering which tends to accompany these three topics. :hihi:

I very rarely start a thread ,and must admit im a little shocked at how popular my thread about the "signage in private car parks" in the sheffield discussions has been.

Anything even slightly controversial usually turns into a long drawn out thread for obvious reasons. Ive also noticed any thread thats mentions cyclists, Muslims, Religion, ( the latter two i avoid at all costs ) tend to be the usual "Big" threads , unless they are cut short due to the over the top bickering which tends to accompany these three topics. :hihi:

So there we have it again...a good argument gets more posts. Anything civil dies a death!

Do you think it's uniquely a Sheffield thing, or is it the same, the world over?

Been my opinion for a while that he mods don't like argument. Threads get shut down way too fast when a good ding dong is going on.

Yeah, but in fairness, some do a bit out over the top...with personal insults etc....It would just be a bear pit if someone didn't step in sometimes. Generally speaking, I've noticed, they do give a warning.

So there we have it again...a good argument gets more posts. Anything civil dies a death!

Do you think it's uniquely a Sheffield thing, or is it the same, the world over?

This is clearly aimed at a being a self fulfilling prophesy. Sad bloke with nothing better to do starts thread titled "Do threads only get more posts if there's a good argument?"

Post on it himself a few hundred times then claims it as a thread that gets many posts. :loopy:

I'll come back and take a look in a few hours to see if same team is still working at the numbers game.

Archived