Ban fireworks and legalise weed?

Should we ban fireworks and legalise weed?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should we ban fireworks and legalise weed?

• Ban fireworks, legalise weed.
    • Ban them both.
    • Both should be legal.
    • Keep the system how it is.

I don't think there is any legitimate use for fireworks.

"They look pretty". Well look at a photo of one then.

Clearly a large number of people disagree with you.

You might as well argue that there is no legitimate use for art if looking pretty isn't legitimate.

Would you like to tell me which law proscribes the use of teargas, mace or pepper spray?

I doubt that pepper spray was what Chem1st had in mind.

It's certainly illegal to purchase or possess mace in the UK, I believe it might actually come under some firearms legislation, but as I'm at work I can't actually check.

Not that it's germane to the thread, my point was that things with a legitimate use (which fireworks have) should not be banned due to a possibility of misuse, or we'd have to ban everything.

I agree that "private" fireworks should be banned. Go to a proper display, then you can actually see them when they go off and you don't terrify animals/kids and annoy the living pee out of your neighbours!

What happens with a private firework, it becomes invisible?

And how does an organised display not scare animals, can you reassure them by telling them it's a professional lighting the fuse?

As a neighbour myself I can say that fireworks don't annoy me, are you saying that as someones neighbour they do annoy you, if so, why?

You might as well argue that there is no legitimate use for art if looking pretty isn't legitimate.

If I had art that make loud explosive noises, I doubt my neighbours would be happy. Yet they wheel the fireworks out every year.

I say this every year, and it gets more true every year. If people limited themselves to Bonfire Night then I couldn't really complain. I would complain, but it'd be weak. Celebrating a Thursday night in late-October is madness to me though, and it's purely done for the reason of playing with explosives.

What happens with a private firework, it becomes invisible?

And how does an organised display not scare animals, can you reassure them by telling them it's a professional lighting the fuse?

As a neighbour myself I can say that fireworks don't annoy me, are you saying that as someones neighbour they do annoy you, if so, why?

Private displays are done by any idiot with a lighter. Fireworks are very dangerous and should be licensed. By only allowing them at organised events there would be far fewer and people would know when they are happening so they can sort out their pets accordingly.

Yes it does annoy me when my neighbours in our terraced street set off fireworks. I don't see how they are different to guns except that they are more unpredictable. Its an explosive.

By the way I love fireworks and I love bonfire night. I do not love idiots playing with explosives and see no reason for fireworks to be used in small private gardens

If I had art that make loud explosive noises, I doubt my neighbours would be happy. Yet they wheel the fireworks out every year.

Your argument was that being pretty wasn't sufficient use and that people could look at a picture.

Do you want to change it to an argument about loud noises being a problem?

I say this every year, and it gets more true every year. If people limited themselves to Bonfire Night then I couldn't really complain. I would complain, but it'd be weak. Celebrating a Thursday night in late-October is madness to me though, and it's purely done for the reason of playing with explosives.

And why wouldn't you enjoy the chance to fire explosives up into the air, I certainly do.

Private displays are done by any idiot with a lighter. Fireworks are very dangerous and should be licensed.

They're pretty much entirely safe when used responsibily. They're somewhat dangerous when in the hands of an idiot.

By only allowing them at organised events there would be far fewer and people would know when they are happening so they can sort out their pets accordingly.

By telling them that it's okay? Stuffing cotton wool in their ears?

Yes it does annoy me when my neighbours in our terraced street set off fireworks. I don't see how they are different to guns except that they are more unpredictable. Its an explosive.

I wonder if you ever do anything that annoys them?

By the way I love fireworks

I can see the love here, with them annoying you and how you think they should be banned.

and I love bonfire night. I do not love idiots playing with explosives

You have a high regard for the public, I wonder if you realise that you are a member of the group you are calling idiots?

and see no reason for fireworks to be used in small private gardens

Because it's fun.

How come you can't check, but you can be on here when you should be doing work??

Cause I only have so much time whilst code compiles or the server restarts and it's not enough to start trawling through reams of legislation.

And searching for what are illegal items in the UK on a work connection might not be the wisest thing to do.

They're pretty much entirely safe when used responsibily. They're somewhat dangerous when in the hands of an idiot.

By telling them that it's okay? Stuffing cotton wool in their ears?

I wonder if you ever do anything that annoys them?

I can see the love here, with them annoying you and how you think they should be banned.

You have a high regard for the public, I wonder if you realise that you are a member of the group you are calling idiots?

Because it's fun.

1. that was my point.

2. by being in or taking them out if the display is too near.

3. I doubt it.

4. I didn't say fireworks should be banned.

5. I didn't say the public were idiots, I said any idiot could be using them. For example your attitude is pretty idiotic-you don't seem to be able to understand simple posts...unless you are deliberately changing the points I made.

Archived