Ban fireworks and legalise weed?

Should we ban fireworks and legalise weed?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should we ban fireworks and legalise weed?

• Ban fireworks, legalise weed.
    • Ban them both.
    • Both should be legal.
    • Keep the system how it is.

It's subjective obviously.

I put forward the idea then that fireworks create more harm than they do pleasure. If they were set off on bonfire night only, I wouldn't be able to make this case, because sensible people don't set them off for no reason just to entertain themselves on a rainy dull Monday night. The situation we have at the minute is silly.

A compromise though, because I'm not a fan of banning things. Fireworks go on sale on 5th November at 9am, and if people want them then they can buy them then.

You see any flaws in this?

Raise the minimum age of purchase to 21.

No cash purchases.

Private firework sales limited to 1-4 November and 23-31 December

All fireworks to be used on private land with permission, between 4pm and 11pm on Nov 5th and 4pm - 1am Dec 31.

Use of fireworks as weapons to be treated as firearms offences.

No fireworks for weddings anymore then :-(

I agree with most of it, but why the date restrictions? It's not like fireworks cause a year round problem (they don't cause a problem at any time of the year really).

But the rest of it, age limits, no cash purchases, firearms offences, all sounds quite reasonable.

I put forward the idea then that fireworks create more harm than they do pleasure. If they were set off on bonfire night only, I wouldn't be able to make this case, because sensible people don't set them off for no reason just to entertain themselves on a rainy dull Monday night. The situation we have at the minute is silly.

A compromise though, because I'm not a fan of banning things. Fireworks go on sale on 5th November at 9am, and if people want them then they can buy them then.

A few flaws yes.

Firstly I'd like to see some evidence that they create significant amounts of harm.

And that there is a problem with them causing nuisance at other times of the year.

I don't see how the situation is silly at all. I can't remember the last time I was somehow annoyed or inconvenienced by fireworks.

There've been a few early 'displays' locally over the last week, but they last for minutes and cause no trouble.

I don't remember any fireworks since Jan before this last week.

So at least here, there is no problem with rainy Monday evenings at random times of the year.

I contend that the normal law on the sale of fireworks, and the use of noisy things is sufficient to minimise any possible nuisance and that no further restrictions are really necessary.

Fireworks are available all year round and can be used between 7am & 11pm everyday of the year. Yet we only have a problem with them around bonfire night?

I think there are a lot more serious things we need to sort out before imposing draconian laws on the sale and use of fireworks.

Don't forget, fireworks can easily be made in the home with everyday items.

I would much prefer people bought them off the shelf, where they are limited to a certain amount of explosive powder and tested quite thoroughly, than cooking up some homebrew fireworks.

The people that do misuse fireworks would soon find something else to cause mischief with if fireworks were banned or restricted even more.

Loads - what about people who want a legitimate bonfire night display but are working on the 5th?

What about various celebratory events that take place across the country throughout the year on private grounds away from other residents?

Firstly I'd like to see some evidence that they create significant amounts of harm.

Beyond anecdotes, I think my answer can only be limited. Like if I asked for evidence that they create significant amounts of pleasure.

And that there is a problem with them causing nuisance at other times of the year.

It's normally this build-up to Bonfire Night that I find them at their worst. The build up to NY Eve is similiar but less significant.

So at least here, there is no problem with rainy Monday evenings at random times of the year.

I never claimed it was random.

There were loads last night. I opened my window to get some fresh air before bed and had to shut it again. "Remember remember, the 5th of November, and the first few weeks before that too".

------------------------

what about people who want a legitimate bonfire night display but are working on the 5th?

Then it wouldn't be a legitimate bonfire night display, would it? Mr IQ.

What about various celebratory events that take place across the country throughout the year on private grounds away from other residents?

I can't contend that. ;)

Archived