Remember Parking Lights On Cars Years Ago ?

I can remember when I was young, my dad having to rig up a parking light if he left the car on the road at night time. It was the law, so people had a small light going from the car to a car battery inside the house. I remember too if relatives visited us, if they didn't bring a parking light with them, they had to go home before dark !!! The good old days eh ?

That's right, they were plastic lenses, red to rear and white to front and had a chrome clip which clipped over the top of the window glass.

Until 1971, we lived on the very end of a tiny cul-de-sac (which ran off another cul-de-sac) so my father's car would be parked up against the end wall. The local constable still insisted that we should have a light to the rear so we used to stand a corporation-style paraffin road lamp to the rear of the bumper.

I can remember when I was young, my dad having to rig up a parking light if he left the car on the road at night time. It was the law, so people had a small light going from the car to a car battery inside the house. I remember too if relatives visited us, if they didn't bring a parking light with them, they had to go home before dark !!! The good old days eh ?

A cable across the pavement? I remember them running off the car battery (the one under the bonnet).

At the time the police worried about things like cars parked facing the wrong way at night, but the advantage of the parking light was you could face it either way, so even if the car was the wrong way round, you could still show a red and white light the right way round.

Did you have the new improved version with a photo electric cell so that they came on / went off automaticallyeith sunset and sunrise?

Are you kidding? We had to employ a small child every night to sit in the passenger seat and to keep the dynamo wound up.

My Dad had a little Austin A30 and as we lived on Prince Of Wales Road he had to put one of the parking lights on it every night.

One night it went out for some reason and he was fined, the policeman who did him was the lad who had delivered our papers for years and his Dad owned the local papershop. We cancelled our papers and never went in the shop again.

If you parked the wrong way you still got done because they said that the headlights refected in the parked cars lights.

Archived