Remember Parking Lights On Cars Years Ago ?

My car made in 2010 has the parking light facility on it. Switch on the sidelights pull the indicator downwards, this just leaves the offside sidelights on. I've used it on unlit roads in that mode recently! These days car batteries can easily sustain leaving it on overnight!

It's still a requirement to show a parking light on certain roads after dark.

Hi Cyclone, yes you are correct. I'm a retired Driving Instructor and may I advise that parking at night without lights is allowed for cars on a road subject to a speed limit of 30 mph or less.

Regards, Peter.

Also, what about "carrot indicators", we had them on a Ford Pop.

Hi Duffems, what did "carrot indicators" look like exactly (appart from a carrot ?:)). I had a 1958 Ford Popular 103E ("sit up and beg") in 1964 which had small round indicators and five years ago I had a 1953 Ford Anglia E494A with the same body style. This had semaphore indicators supplemented in it's later life with the round ones. I have seen ones which looked like a pair of ears sticking out.

Regards, Peter.

That's right, they were plastic lenses, red to rear and white to front and had a chrome clip which clipped over the top of the window glass.

Until 1971, we lived on the very end of a tiny cul-de-sac (which ran off another cul-de-sac) so my father's car would be parked up against the end wall. The local constable still insisted that we should have a light to the rear so we used to stand a corporation-style paraffin road lamp to the rear of the bumper.

Hi carosio, I have two of these clip on lights in my collection of old motoring memorabilia. I used one in my 1958 Ford Popular when street lighting was by gas lamp and it was pitch black between lamp posts. The lamps emitted a pool of light only about 6 yards in diameter, so a car could be unseen between posts. Neither car rear reflectors nor headlamps were any way near as effective as modern ones, which didn't help matters. One could see the stars in those days:)

Regards, Peter.

I can remember when I was young, my dad having to rig up a parking light if he left the car on the road at night time. It was the law, so people had a small light going from the car to a car battery inside the house. I remember too if relatives visited us, if they didn't bring a parking light with them, they had to go home before dark !!! The good old days eh ?

Yeah, I remember looking forward to a ride in my uncles Austin 7 in the early '50s up to a piece of spare land to park it when he visited us in winter.:)

Regards, Peter.

Hi carosio, I have two of these clip on lights in my collection of old motor memorabilia. I used one in my 1958 Ford Popular when street lighting was by gas lamp and it was pitch black between lamp posts. The lamps emitted a pool of light only about 6 yards in diameter, so a car could be unseen between posts. Neither car rear reflectors nor headlamps were any way near as effective as modern ones, which didn't help matters. One could see the stars in those days:)

Regards, Peter.

We had a similar Ford pop but a van in blue with black mudguards.

I well remember the gas-lamps but am struggling to think what type of lamp was used on the main roads in the late 50s, might have been the sodium type.

We had a similar Ford pop but a van in blue with black mudguards.

I well remember the gas-lamps but am struggling to think what type of lamp was used on the main roads in the late 50s, might have been the sodium type.

Yes, they were sodium lights. I lived at Grimesthorpe from birth in 1943 and then moved to Shiregreen in 1957 for a bigger house to accomodate my new baby sister. I recall It was just prior to this that sodium lights appeared on Upwell Street, the main road. At the time I thought the orange glow was fantastic, but not so sure now.

Yes Jim across the pavement!! You'd try to get the wire as high up as possible fastened onto a wooden pole, but still a hazard, but in those days people were used to such things. I remember the little plastic light which clipped onto the window, red on one side and white on the other. We had a driveway so dad only used this method occasionally if for any reason the vehicle needed to be on the road at night. My husband can also remember his dad and relatives doing the same. There were a lot less cars around at that time too.

Archived