Should 3rd party insurance (£2.03 a month) be compulsory for road cyclists?

Should affordable cycle insurance be compulsary?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Should affordable cycle insurance be compulsary?

• Yes (give reason why)
    • No (give reason why)

This lady has the right idea

...on a more serious note, this is all that is needed. Replace the writing with a cycle ID number.

I don't think it would be enforceable unless you increased Police cycle units dramatically to oversee. Would 5yr old children have to take a test? Would they be susceptible to insurance?

Does any other country have such a policy..if so, does it work?

I don't think it would be enforceable unless you increased Police cycle units dramatically to oversee.

Why would you need increased Police cycle units? If it was compulsory to wear the number, it would simply be an offence to cycle without one. Like driving without a reg plate. The same police could deal with both.

Would 5yr old children have to take a test? Would they be susceptible to insurance?

Personally, I would never let a 5yr old cycle on the road

Does any other country have such a policy..if so, does it work?

I don't know

I disagree with this idea.

For the sole reason that we are going insurance mad in this country. Its going to get to a point where you need to have insurance in order to leave your own house soon.

No to this idea.

I don't think that the act of "Leaving your own house" causes much damage or injury to others and their property.

I would like the third party insurance to be applicable to pedestrians,horse riders,milkmen with carts and all people who use or cross roads.All insured people should display a large number when in public but these may be removed in shops,theatres and other enclosed public spaces.

I would like the third party insurance to be applicable to pedestrians,horse riders,milkmen with carts and all people who use or cross roads.All insured people should display a large number when in public but these may be removed in shops,theatres and other enclosed public spaces.

I agree with insuring horse riders, and electric vehicles (regardless of speed).

I'd like to think that it was possible, but if we're still getting less than 90% of cars to comply with the laws as far as tax, insurance and MOT apply, then how would we do the same with bikes, when there is currently no legislation and no measuring how many bikes there are currently in the country, how many people ride etc?

We've had 100 years of registering cars and we still don't have all vehicles meeting the standards.

No.

The cyclist that did £1000 of damage to RootsBooster's car is liable and should have paid, not him or his insurance company.

The only reason that motor insurance is mandatory is because of the potential liability risks involved, which could bankrupt anybody involved in an accident.

Walking and cycling are not without risks, but don't carry the same liability risks of driving by some significant margin.

Most cyclists are occasional cyclists, like RootsBooster and myself, and adding another hurdle to getting on our bikes would probably mean we wouldn't at all.

No.

The cyclist that did £1000 of damage to RootsBooster's car is liable and should have paid, not him or his insurance company.

What if he couldn't pay, or didn't want to?

The only reason that motor insurance is mandatory is because of the potential liability risks involved, which could bankrupt anybody involved in an accident.

Walking and cycling are not without risks, but don't carry the same liability risks of driving by some significant margin.

Most cyclists are occasional cyclists, like RootsBooster and myself, and adding another hurdle to getting on our bikes would probably mean we wouldn't at all.

Archived