Should 3rd party insurance (£2.03 a month) be compulsory for road cyclists?

Should affordable cycle insurance be compulsary?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Should affordable cycle insurance be compulsary?

• Yes (give reason why)
    • No (give reason why)

Why would you need increased Police cycle units? If it was compulsory to wear the number, it would simply be an offence to cycle without one. Like driving without a reg plate. The same police could deal with both.

I don't think police cars are able to nip through alleyways etc. All bikes would have to be registered on a national database. That being the case your existing insurance quote would significantly increase along with your local tax.

Personally, I would never let a 5yr old cycle on the road

Although not roads, paths, parks etc are public highways used by the public who are equally susceptible to collision. What is the significance of "road"?

On the insurance side of things, why not make it compulsory when obtaining insurance for a car to state if you use a bicycler on the roads. Then the insurer could add a small premium to the policy to cover them while cycling. Kinda like when you add breakdown cover etc.

Given that a motorist who also cycles will be using their car less, they should probably get a discount on their car insurance. How you'd stop all car drivers suddenly claiming how much they love cycling once they discovered they could get a discount is another matter (maybe make them do an emergency stop on a bike whilst wearing toe clips and see if they manage to not fall over).

I don't think police cars are able to nip through alleyways etc. All bikes would have to be registered on a national database. That being the case your existing insurance quote would significantly increase along with your local tax.

Bloody hell! Let's hope criminals never flee the police on foot then, where they can climb walls and trees, jump fences, duck under low bridges, even open doors and enter buildings... lawful society as we know it would grind to a halt! :lol:

Although not roads, paths, parks etc are public highways used by the public who are equally susceptible to collision. What is the significance of "road"?

From the OP...

The question is, should cycle insurance be compulsory for road cyclists?

If not, at this price, why not?!!

Having had a relative of mine have an accident in a car with a cyclist (that surprisingly was totally the cyclists fault) then I would say yes they most certainly need to be insured.

As the cyclist in question 1. nearly killed himself 2. Destroyed the windscreen of the car which obviously he paid nothing for even though he was at fault 3. expected to be bought a new bike even though he was at fault.

I think if you are peddling round on transport that is more vulnerable to an accident than any other then you really should have insurance. Also at £2.00 a month then its bargain and still massively cheaper than insuring a car so no reason not to be insured.

No I think it's a bad idea, the insurance companies would instantly think up reasons as to why they could hike up the cost, new industries would soon spring up to profit from accidents as well as other dodgy basts getting in on the act with faking claims.

People should make the decision of whether to insure or to take the risk against being sued themselves, where will it all end for crying out loud, I can almost imagine at some point in the future being pulled and having my shoes impounded for not displaying a tax disc whilst wearing a pair of loafers on a public footpath.

No I think it's a bad idea, the insurance companies would instantly think up reasons as to why they could hike up the cost, new industries would soon spring up to profit from accidents as well as other dodgy basts getting in on the act with faking claims.

People should make the decision of whether to insure or to take the risk against being sued themselves, where will it all end for crying out loud, I can almost imagine at some point in the future being pulled and having my shoes impounded for not displaying a tax disc whilst wearing a pair of loafers on a public footpath.

I think you have a good point. I'm starting to reconsider my stance on this issue. I do, however, think that there should be more encouragement/endorsement/publicity for 3rd party cycle insurance, at least.

I think you have a good point. I'm starting to reconsider my stance on this issue. I do, however, think that there should be more encouragement/endorsement/publicity for 3rd party cycle insurance, at least.

A compulsory cycling proficiency test wouldn't go a miss either but that has no doubt been discussed at length on here in the past.

I agree it's a good idea that I hadn't even considered doing before - though as the years go by I tend to cycle less so probably wouldn't:|

Archived