Should 3rd party insurance (£2.03 a month) be compulsory for road cyclists?

Should affordable cycle insurance be compulsary?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Should affordable cycle insurance be compulsary?

• Yes (give reason why)
    • No (give reason why)

Let's be honest here......it's unworkable.

Do we really expect a child to be insured riding his new bike at Christmas?

What about skate boards and childrens scooters? All have the potential to cause damage to vehicles, or worse to people.

It's the way things are....it's life.

Let's be honest here......it's unworkable.

Do we really expect a child to be insured riding his new bike at Christmas?

What about skate boards and childrens scooters? All have the potential to cause damage to vehicles, or worse to people.

It's the way things are....it's life.

Good idea lets scrap insurance on everything!

Accidents will happen and if you die well that's just hard lines.

Bloody hell! Let's hope criminals never flee the police on foot then, where they can climb walls and trees, jump fences, duck under low bridges, even open doors and enter buildings... lawful society as we know it would grind to a halt! :lol:

No it wouldn't, but it would put a burden on already stretched police services. My point being is once you introduce mandatory insurance you have to back that up with a system that can manage it. Your £2 a month would dramatically increase. The only reason it's inexpensive is because you're volunteering your money into an already established insurance system which doesn't require you to.

From the OP...

Yes I read that..but why "roads"?

Good idea lets scrap insurance on everything!

Accidents will happen and if you die well that's just hard lines.

What idea is that then....I didn't suggest anything.

I am just being realistic....

Given that a motorist who also cycles will be using their car less, they should probably get a discount on their car insurance. How you'd stop all car drivers suddenly claiming how much they love cycling once they discovered they could get a discount is another matter (maybe make them do an emergency stop on a bike whilst wearing toe clips and see if they manage to not fall over).

There are more motor-cycles on the roads than cycles. Have you heard of motor cyclists (who are also car owners) getting a discount? :loopy:

What idea is that then....I didn't suggest anything.

I am just being realistic....

It is realistic that cyclists have accidents on the road or have their bike stolen or damaged thus them having to pay insurance is actually a rather sound idea.

A pedestrian can damage your car and be untraced in much the same way a cyclist might.

Maybe everyone should wear a ridiculous bib with a number on it at all times, and be required to carry papers that must be produced on request, citizen.

Or maybe it's an intrusive and unnecessary idea thought up by someone who hasn't touched a bike since they were 12 (and wasn't required to be insured when they did).

Archived