Caning to cure-only in Russia.

No wonder I'm a happy chappie who never became an alcoholic. It must have been all that caning I got in school

Like Medusa infers, the state of mind from endorphins really is euphoric. It does not last long , at least not as long as you imply in reference to years ago.

Just seen this article on a medical news site, and wondered what the good people of Sheffield think.

In the same way that alternative therapies (like homeopathy & reflexology) are not available on the NHS, it is highly unlikely that this therapy ever will be also. What do you think?

http://www.news-medical.net/news/2005/03/29/8788.aspx

Isnt homeopathy available on the NHS?

The researchers say caning releases endorphins, the body's natural 'happy chemicals', and that leads to feelings of euphoria, a reduction of appetite, the release of sex hormones and an enhancement of the immune response, and they have a similar effect on pain as drugs such as morphine and codeine, but do not lead to addiction or dependence.

On a serious note, this is part of the very complex picture of self-harm.

The researchers say caning releases endorphins, the body's natural 'happy chemicals', and that leads to feelings of euphoria, a reduction of appetite, the release of sex hormones and an enhancement of the immune response, and they have a similar effect on pain as drugs such as morphine and codeine, but do not lead to addiction or dependence.

That would be the same as saying that acupuncture is self harm.

That would be the same as saying that acupuncture is self harm.

Sorry, you've missed the point there. I was stating that the associated analgesic effects of released endorphins are one of the reasons that self-harm can become addictive.

I was not suggesting the treatment in the article is self-harm. I was just trying to shed a little light on a very misunderstood issue that is related to the scientific aspect of the OP.

I only asked the question because I had never heard of what you explained. It does not mean what you say is incorrect, and I have not spent any time checking on google. You are welcome to PM me and it is an interesting subject.

Archived