Male and Female insurance premiums to be levelled.

The motor insurance industry will go through two big changes in the next few months.

From 21 December 2012, insurers will no longer be allowed to offer cheaper premiums to female drivers, following a ruling from the European Court of Justice.

In March last year, the ECJ ruled that it was no longer legal for insurers to charge different prices depending on gender.

This will also affect the cost of buying an annuity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20030285

So, the ruling is in effect an equality ruling. Do female drivers on the forum expect to pay huge rises in their premiums? It's highly unlikely that the mens premium will be lowered to meet half way.

Is it fair for insurers to just hike the cost of female premiums, for no extra benefit, just to comply with an EU court ruling? They will effectively get this extra money for nothing!

Thoughts?

I expect that womens' car insurance will increase in price to meet what men pay, so its not really a 'victory' for male equality because men will still be paying the same amount. Yet another reason to keep my car off road :(

That's exactly what will happen. So the insurance companies get a free windfall courtesy of EU beurocracy.

It's irritated me for years that women get cheaper car insurance than men. But this isn't quite what I had in mind to solve the problem!

I suspect Isabelle has hit the nail squarely on the head.

Yet another example of bureaucratic Euro-guff.

But don't worry, Call-me Dave is going to sort them out!:thumbsup:

Egg on his face Dave won't sort anything else. The loss in the commons last night played right into his hands. He can legitamently go to the meeting next week and shrug his shoulders and say it wasn't my idea!

But that's nothing to do with this topic!

That's exactly what will happen. So the insurance companies get a free windfall courtesy of EU beurocracy.

It's irritated me for years that women get cheaper car insurance than men. But this isn't quite what I had in mind to solve the problem!

It irritates me that I've paid more due to my age. I can't help that any more than my gender and yet biasing on one is ok and the other is not? It's ridiculous.

Archived