Male and Female insurance premiums to be levelled.

It irritates me that I've paid more due to my age. I can't help that any more than my gender and yet biasing on one is ok and the other is not? It's ridiculous.

You've probably paid more due to lack of experience (if it's motor insurance you're talking about)

Nope, as a young whippersnapper you will pay more than someone who has the same or less number of years driving if they are older (over 30/35ish).

Maybe,on average, young whippersnappers have more of a habit of costing the insurance companies money than older drivers?

Maybe,on average, young whippersnappers have more of a habit of costing the insurance companies money than older drivers?

But, on average, young male whippersnappers cost the insurance companies more than young female ones. Hence the current difference in premiums.

Would be nice if mens premiums came down a bit, but can't see it! They'll not be able to charge different amounts based on age next!QUOTE]

Apparently men will come down 'slightly' Perhaps 10% ish. But correspondingly womens will increase by around 25% ish.

However insurers are being very coy about saying exactly what their prices will be when the ruling comes into effect.

I'm not disagreeing...

Nor was I:)

It seems a strange ruling. I can't see why insurance companies should be prevented from using one of the biggest factors in accidents. Young male drivers are far more likely to be involved in a serious accident than any other category of driver. Now we all have to pay for that risk.

Archived