Male and Female insurance premiums to be levelled.

At the risk of being told I'm pulling you apart how is it not lowering premiums? At the moment, hypothetically, a new driver pays £3k in total for a year's insurance..under your scheme he'd pay £1000 deposit and £500 premium? how is that not £1500 cheaper? In the second year ,as I understand he'd just pay the £500 ... Sorry if I'm missing your point but could you explain a little more...

Obviously I havn't done a profit and loss analysis on the figures I suggested.

First off they need to sort out the spurious claims culture. That would save millions.

Then broadly use the scheme I suggested. Everyone pays a deposit in their first year, along with a suitable premium based on the type of car. I didn't say it was watertight. Just an idea!

You're right, effectively it would be a reduction, but it would only penalise the offenders in the following year if they screwed up.

Obviously I havn't done a profit and loss analysis on the figures I suggested.

First off they need to sort out the spurious claims culture. That would save millions.

Then broadly use the scheme I suggested. Everyone pays a deposit in their first year, along with a suitable premium based on the type of car. I didn't say it was watertight. Just an idea!

You're right, effectively it would be a reduction, but it would only penalise the offenders in the following year if they screwed up.

The problem is is that the deposit will be less than the claim amount (in most cases) so where will the extra cash to pay for the claims come from?

jb

I'm slightly puzzled by your post here Truman. What point are you making?

Surely you can't agree that the disparity between a young male driver being charges thousands of pounds, yet the same aged female is a mere fraction of that (given the same vehicle of course). Yes we know that statistically, the male is more likely to have a problem. But it's unproven in individual circumstances. It's like being found guilty of an offence before it ever goes to court!

The whole basis for insurance is an aggregated form of behaviour,and thus people forfeit the right to be treated as individuals until they build up a case history.You seem to be very conscious of living in P Cross,and have gone to some pains to present yourself as respectable,despite prejudice from many quarters.We use generalisations when we have insufficient knowledge and insurance firms are copying a natural instinct.

The problem is is that the deposit will be less than the claim amount (in most cases) so where will the extra cash to pay for the claims come from?

jb

Well it's never the case that your premium will entirely cover the cost of repairs now is it?

The whole basis for insurance is an aggregated form of behaviour,and thus people forfeit the right to be treated as individuals until they build up a case history.You seem to be very conscious of living in P Cross,and have gone to some pains to present yourself as respectable,despite prejudice from many quarters.We use generalisations when we have insufficient knowledge and insurance firms are copying a natural instinct.

So next year when I renew my insurance it will be cheaper cos I havn't made a claim?...I beg to differ!

So in effect just lowering premiums? If insurance companies are suggesting 2-3 thousand pounds for a new driver's policy and they are still losing money ( as in the link I put up) who will take up the slack between that and your deposit suggestion..? No-one is pulling you to pieces it's a debate where not everyone agrees..if the second and every subsequent post in every thread was "yes you're right" then it'd be a boring forum..

Why dont young drivers take the hint-they are unwelcome on our roads until they mature.Keep premiums high ,reduce the number of young drivers,cut accidents and congestion and public transport will gain extra custom.This seems an ideal set of consequences,and young people may even regain the fitness threatened by overuse of the car.

So next year when I renew my insurance it will be cheaper cos I havn't made a claim?...I beg to differ!

I would not renew my insurance with the same firm.Firms identify the sluggish customers who are inert and will not shop round for better deals.Rising premiums are a reflection of your disposition not driver risk.

Archived