Legal part of contract of employment

As far as I understand your question ..... Yes.

It is perfectly reasonable for an employment contract to require you to have these skills if the employer wishes.

If your employer is trying to impose some new conditions that were not part of your original contract ... then that is a different kettle of fish.

Is it a Legal part of contract of employment for a person who is employed meet a level of English and maths as part of their employment contract?

I would have thought it would be essential in some occupations. It all depends what the job is I suppose!

Bear in mind that it's usually not essential for an employment contract to be in writing.

If it is in writing, and if it covers the basics, no 'Statement of Terms' is needed.

Whereas if it's wholly or partly oral, a 'Statement of Terms' is essential.

See Part 1 of the Employment Rights Act 1996

Right to statements of employment particulars: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/18/part/I/crossheading/right-to-statements-of-employment-particulars

Bear in mind that it's usually not essential for an employment contract to be in writing.

If it is in writing, and if it covers the basics, no 'Statement of Terms' is needed.

Whereas if it's wholly or partly oral, a 'Statement of Terms' is essential.

What do you mean by "not essential"?

Contracts can both verbal and/or written and also be implied by practice, but ..... an employee has the right to a written contract/statement.

If the employer refuses to provide it, they are breaking the law.

What if sn employee does not follow written instructions sent by a client and the employee chooses to ignore the instructions.

That sounds like gross misconduct, assuming that the employee's job is to deal with client instructions.

Has something happened at your work? It sounds like you're trying to get advice but it's difficult to help without knowing the circumstances. If you want to ask for advice anonymously, send me or one of the Moderators a PM and we'll post it for you.

What do you mean by "not essential"?

Contracts can both verbal and/or written and also be implied by practice, but ..... an employee has the right to a written contract/statement.

If the employer refuses to provide it, they are breaking the law.

You're right, in part.

But my point was that an employee usually does NOT have the right to a written contract (unless the law governing that specific area of employment says so). If there's no written contract, the employee has a right to the Statement of Terms mentioned.

Archived