Urban Socialite Bars & Restaurants in Sheffield

Sam @ Dearne

Boho and Wig and Pen are both ones I was thinking of too. If we look at most of the venues mentioned they have all appeared in the last year (exception of W&P).

I totally agree that Leeds and Manchester are years ahead of Sheffield in the 'going out' area. But it has certainly got better than the old Sheffield I remember. I am interested to see what happens when all the new city centre flats are built and what impact this has on the demographics and nightlife.

What about further out of town, like Ecclesall Road, Abbeydale Road and the 'suburbs'?

Slinky

Originally posted by SlinkyMinky

I totally agree that Leeds and Manchester are years ahead of Sheffield in the 'going out' area.

That's because Leeds and Manchester have yet to twig that Staying In is the new Going Out.

Me and my Urban Socialite friends meet up, away from the slack-jawed gazing of the public at large, at private venues.

No doormen, over priced drinks, Astrud Gilberto muzak, or dodgy decor. Much nicer, much more welcoming. Much lower DF factor.

Originally posted by SlinkyMinky I am interested to see what happens when all the new city centre flats are built and what impact this has on the demographics and nightlife.

[/b]

A lot of the West One flats are now rented out to students - there just wasnt the demand from the supposed young "urbanites" (though the Telegraph, Exposed and other such mags with an interest in pushing the "urban" lifestyle are a little quiet about that....)

Originally posted by sham71

I agree Jake. The only viable future for the majority of the city centre flats is as student accomodation in the long run.

Do we really want the city centre becoming a student ghetto?

I personally think thats rubbish.

Why would Sheffield go a different way to Manchester and Leeds?

Originally posted by SlinkyMinky

Cooked to perfection in my mind, means it has been cooked how I like and more importantly how I asked. I think this is the difficult bit. We have all had steaks under or over done. I have worked as a chef myself cooking many a steak and know its not always easy.

Slinky

I really think you're wrong there Slinky - it really isn't difficult to cook a steak. All you have to do is use the three finger principle and it always comes out perfect.

Originally posted by Guderian

I personally think thats rubbish.

Why would Sheffield go a different way to Manchester and Leeds?

Economics & History... Sheffield was traditionally a heavy industry city and so never had the same commercial, legal & financial sectors that the other two cities have had.. there just aren't the jobs in Sheffield that pay the wages of jobs in Leeds & Manchester...

Originally posted by Dug

Crystal, your joking right? It's a chav bar. A place for those who are wannabes.

You can say that about all those kinds of bars, Nonna's is a great example of bar bashing by this forum.

The biggest hang out for wannabees in my mind is Champs, they ooze out of that place and I always feel uneasy when I have been in, as if you are part of a fashion parade or competition.

Is there no, really cool, laid back, quality establishment, that isn't too far up its own ar$e and doesn't create a 'them' and 'us' feeling in the forum?

That may just be the most difficult question ever posed here!!!

Slinky

Archived