Why not limit car's top speed?

Assuming it was technically possible, why don't we fit all cars with automatic speed limiters, to make it impossible to exceed the speed limit and then make it an offence to disable one or drive without one?

It would probably be possible to raise the limits slightly, if you knew that no one could exceed that upper limit. Say 80 on the Motorway.

Anyone found exceeding it or with a faulty limiter it banned, car destroyed.

Why not?

Assuming it was technically possible, why don't we fit all cars with automatic speed limiters, to make it impossible to exceed the speed limit and then make it an offence to disable one or drive without one?

It would probably be possible to raise the limits slightly, if you knew that no one could exceed that upper limit. Say 80 on the Motorway.

Anyone found exceeding it or with a faulty limiter it banned, car destroyed.

Why not?

Because we don't want to get our arses sued for (totally justifiable) megabucks?

Speed is not a problem. I spent much of my 'early years' doing about 1000 (or rather more) miles an hour everywhere. I didn't die (well, not more than 3 times a week.)

Speed does NOT kill! (Unless, of course, you happen to fly into a hill. - Ordinarily, you do not.)

I've spent rather a lot of my life travelling at what (you might think) are impressive speeds.

Ordinarily, I'm just an ordinary bloke who drives down the roads behaving in an ordinary manner. (Well, not quite ... I' m a very experienced [50 years plus] advanced motorist. I could still drive like a prat ... but (I hope) I'm a bit less likely to do so.)

If I was driving downt he road going about my lawful occasion at (say) 55 mph and I saw a tree beginning to fall in the road ahead of me and you - you arsehole- had passed a law which allowed my car to slow mw down and bew killed by the tree then how much are you personally prepared to pay?

Why should you nit be required to pay? - You wanted speed cortrol. you got it. Somebody died. You are responsible.

You pay. Perhaps you (personally) should pay all rge exoenses abd liabiliteis of the person you killed (see Japanese liability law)

Why not?

Seems reasonable to me.

It does seem pointless that most cars are capable of reaching speeds which they will never legally be able to demonstrate (unless its on a track of some sort).

I think (from watching Top Gear) that the Autobahn in Germany has no speed limit. I wonder how many people drive on there at excessively high speeds, or whether they stick to a speed they are comfortable and feel safe and in control of their vehicle?

If you're willing to fund the infrastructure required then go for it. How many millions of cars will you need to fit GPS tracking/speed limiting devices to? I'm sure it'll be very cheap :rolleyes:

Archived