Why not limit car's top speed?

Sorry but what do these prove? You picked some random videos of expensive cars in accidents. It proves nothing.

Where's the evidence? Where are links to reports and papers on the subject showing your statistical evidence?

Sorry but what do these prove? You picked some random videos of expensive cars in accidents. It proves nothing.

Where's the evidence? Where are links to reports and papers on the subject showing your statistical evidence?

A bit of a no brainer really. But for folks with no brains.

http://www.safecarguide.com/gui/sel/accidents.htm

If you are looking for a safe, affordable vehicle to buy for your next car, you are not alone. Some cars are safer than others for many reasons. Some may get in more accidents than others. In fact, insurance companies have deemed certain makes and models to be “high risk” vehicles based on years of statistical analysis (you can check this out in action by comparing quotes at sites like CarInsuranceQuotes.net -- different cars correspond to different premiums). So what makes these vehicles more likely to get into an accident?

The Power of the Engine

The power of the engine plays a major role in which types of cars get into the most accidents. A more powerful engine allows a driver to drive more aggressively. These are cars that have a rapid rate of acceleration, and the engine's power encourages drivers to speed up quickly even in high traffic situations. Such vehicles may be more likely to weave in and out of traffic, take off at a high rate of speed when a light turns green at an intersection and otherwise exhibit riskier behavior. You should keep in mind that many makes and models provide a driver some flexibility in regard to engine size. If given a choice, opting for a less powerful engine can provide you with a safer vehicle that is also more affordable to insure.

The Size of the Car

The size of the vehicle also plays a role in the likelihood a vehicle will be involved in an accident. In general, 4-door family vehicles are less likely to be involved in an accident. Many vehicles with 2 doors have an increased statistical likelihood of being in an accident. This may be due to the fact that they are smaller and can maneuver more easily through traffic, which encourages riskier driving behavior. Drivers may feel that the improved maneuverability and handling of these vehicles allows them to turn corners at higher rates of speed and to drive more aggressively, even if a less powerful engine is in the car.

Cars Driven By Younger Drivers

The style of some cars attracts younger drivers, while more mature drivers tend to drive other makes and models. Cars that are more likely to be driven by younger drivers are often involved in more accidents. This is because younger drivers who are operating these vehicles lack the driving experience that more mature drivers have. While younger drivers do operate a range of vehicles, they often choose to drive smaller vehicles. This may be because of the affordability of some types of smaller vehicles or because they lack the need for storage and passenger seating that other people may have.

If you are looking for a vehicle that is affordable to insure, be sure you choose one that isn't a boat and has a practically sized engine for your needs. You can compare rate quotes on several different makes and models you are considering for your purchase to find the one that is most affordable to insure.

And of course the cost of insurance also reflects the value of the car itself, the demographic of who is insuring it, where it lives, how easy/likely it is to be stolen and a whole host of other factors.

So far you've failed to prove that;

a) Performance cars have tyres which perform worse in the wet than 'normal' cars. I used my own example where my sports car will stop much faster in the wet or dry than my small family car.

You then discounted my car as it's already limited to 155mph and so apparently doesn't qualify (you were only interested in 200mph cars).

You've then failed to show that there is any problem with supercars being particularly likely to crash in the wet.

As far as I can see the idea that supercars should be limited in order to have lower rated tyres is completely unsupported by evidence. Much like the original idea of limiting all cars to 70mph is equally unsupported.

And of course the cost of insurance also reflects the value of the car itself, the demographic of who is insuring it, where it lives, how easy/likely it is to be stolen and a whole host of other factors.

So if you drove a Caterham 7 (£17900) you would expect the insurance to be roughly the same as your neighbour's Ford Focus 1.4 (£17900) providing your other data was similar?

For now, Cyclone, for now...Unless relevant EU privacy laws/EUHRC kick in, I'm predicting smartphones to be contractually imposed by insurers (with relevant clauses for it to be always-on if you're in the car) for purposes of insurance validity (switch it off = you're in breach of contract = insurer doesn't pay) within 5 to 10 years. Basically, for every driver on the move to have an always-on black box/tachograph/etc. No need to retrofit older cars, no need to adapt the road network, little to no cost to insurers = best-fit solution for powers-that-be.

Remember you heard it here ;)

What will hapen to people who don't have a phone? Will they be banned from driving?

I haven't read the whole thread, but from what I can see...

It's a mute argument which cars are more likely to crash... no cars are more likely to crash, purely the drivers fault. I could own a Ferrari 458 with high performance tyres, if I drive safe in the rain, I'm sure I'll get home in one piece, but if I drive my car like a prat in the rain, I could have said Ferrari or my current car, and I'm going to crash, regardless of tyres/driver aids.

In answer to the original question, I've always had ideas about this, I've never really researched it in depth, but with sat navs becoming increasingly standard equipment, I've often thought you could hook the ECU up to the sat nav speed limit warning to restrict speeding? Most modern cars are packed full of electrics that could cope with this... now off to BMW I go.

A bit of a no brainer really. But for folks with no brains.

http://www.safecarguide.com/gui/sel/accidents.htm

If you are looking for a safe, affordable vehicle to buy for your next car, you are not alone. Some cars are safer than others for many reasons. Some may get in more accidents than others. In fact, insurance companies have deemed certain makes and models to be “high risk” vehicles based on years of statistical analysis (you can check this out in action by comparing quotes at sites like CarInsuranceQuotes.net -- different cars correspond to different premiums). So what makes these vehicles more likely to get into an accident?

The Power of the Engine

The power of the engine plays a major role in which types of cars get into the most accidents. A more powerful engine allows a driver to drive more aggressively. These are cars that have a rapid rate of acceleration, and the engine's power encourages drivers to speed up quickly even in high traffic situations. Such vehicles may be more likely to weave in and out of traffic, take off at a high rate of speed when a light turns green at an intersection and otherwise exhibit riskier behavior. You should keep in mind that many makes and models provide a driver some flexibility in regard to engine size. If given a choice, opting for a less powerful engine can provide you with a safer vehicle that is also more affordable to insure.

The Size of the Car

The size of the vehicle also plays a role in the likelihood a vehicle will be involved in an accident. In general, 4-door family vehicles are less likely to be involved in an accident. Many vehicles with 2 doors have an increased statistical likelihood of being in an accident. This may be due to the fact that they are smaller and can maneuver more easily through traffic, which encourages riskier driving behavior. Drivers may feel that the improved maneuverability and handling of these vehicles allows them to turn corners at higher rates of speed and to drive more aggressively, even if a less powerful engine is in the car.

Cars Driven By Younger Drivers

The style of some cars attracts younger drivers, while more mature drivers tend to drive other makes and models. Cars that are more likely to be driven by younger drivers are often involved in more accidents. This is because younger drivers who are operating these vehicles lack the driving experience that more mature drivers have. While younger drivers do operate a range of vehicles, they often choose to drive smaller vehicles. This may be because of the affordability of some types of smaller vehicles or because they lack the need for storage and passenger seating that other people may have.

If you are looking for a vehicle that is affordable to insure, be sure you choose one that isn't a boat and has a practically sized engine for your needs. You can compare rate quotes on several different makes and models you are considering for your purchase to find the one that is most affordable to insure.

You still haven't provided any evidence of your claim that all Veyrons and XJ220s crash in the wet?

Please stop with the insults, it's generally only done when someone is losing their argument.

So far all you've done is linked to random accident videos you found on youtube and you've cut and pasted a quote from a website.....but not studies/reports/evidence of your claims.

Still waiting...

Archived