Why not limit car's top speed?

Oh, mea culpa. I thought we were the ones accused of doing the 'ranting'. :hihi:

My wife's car does 149 (I know that because my GPS is pretty accurate and I just had to try, didn't I? - The car appears to be speed limited by the manufacturer. I wasn't really worried.)

I tried it once. It does 11 mpg at 149 Mph, so I didn't bother doing it again. My bikes (the ones I own at the moment) won't go that fast, but I had a Blackbird which didn't hang around and a Hayabusa which could burn out a set of tyres in a week ... again, not hanging around.

Why bother making rules which limit speed? - It's very rare that you (or I, when I'm in Europe - and I don't drive in the UK much) can ever get above about 150-160 Kph. Let alone 240.

I may be wrong but I thought the only emergency vehicle allowed to speed was the police while chasing someone.
Dunno either. It's still a stupid idea, all the same and regardless :D

Seriously, though:

He's convinced that speeding is justified in certain circumstances when it just isn't.
In certain circumstances besides those involving emergency vehicles, it is still advisable. Typically when a temporary speed excess 'gets you out of dodge' more surely than dropping anchors, per the earlier "falling tree" example of RB (not that great an example, but the principle/point stands).

'Justification' is an entirely redundant concept in such situations. In which I have been at times. E.g.

• dropping a gear at 70mph and flooring it to get out of the way of a skidding lorry on a motorway (missed us by a couple of feet, tops - had I braked instead, we'd have been sideswiped/crushed),
  • dropping a gear at 60mph as I was overtaking someone who seemingly took offense and floored it themselves (only by that time the guy behind him was starting to floor it as well for overtaking too, making it more dangerous for me to brake and go back behind, than to try and out-accelerate that bell-end...all that time eating road up and by now fast approaching a blind bend),
  • or even very simply accelerating past 70mph on a ramp when joining a motorway, to join ahead of a laterally-aligned passing vehicle and minimise their inconvenience (safer than slowing down on the ramp to join behind, especially if the vehicle is at the head of a "train"),

etc.

Plenty of situations in day-to-day driving require a 'clean/not-messed-with' car capable of reaching beyond posted speed limits to adapt to developing road conditions/situations. Without needing to consider 140mph+ speeds in the least.

For those dissenting (there'll be many no doubt), I can only advise a course in passive-aggressive advanced driving techniques. I did one during my National Service, for chauffeuring VIPs. Besides anticipation-anticipation-anticipation, one of the most important lessons is that, in evasive techniques (and I'm not talking pursuit here, just avoidance), speed is generally your friend, as you still have better control of the car than under hard braking.

I may be wrong but I thought the only emergency vehicle allowed to speed was the police while chasing someone.

Wrong. Would you prefer that - in the event that an ambulance carrying you to hospital needed to travel as quickly as possible it stuck to each and every speed limit and obeyed each and every light?

Policemen 'in pursuit' (and even a few others) have exemptions, but any vehicle may exceed the speed limit in an emergency (statutory defence) ... though the driver may be required to account for his/her actions subsequently.

Archived